Diving in with a Kayak Build

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, I have not been hiding, I've been varnishing my a*% off. Four coats top and four coats bottom after a lot of fairing and sanding of the epoxy base. After varnishing, on went the additions tha

I've been a little quiet on here lately. Since going back to the dental office, I've had 3 months of patients backed up. This has really cut into my free time so I'm needing this project to give me so

Quick update, the strip deck is just about completed. A lot of fiddling to get the pieces to fit and you really can do all of this by hand. I've been using a handsaw, block plane and rasps to fit toge

Posted Images

This is going to be a great one to follow. I've wanted to do a cedar strip canoe for a long time. I keep saying next year and other stuff keeps getting in the way. Maybe this thread will finally convince me to do it next year but probably not.

I've used kyaks and canoes and I've never fully understood the draw to kyaks over canoes but that's just one person's opinion.

I've wanted to build a boat for a while, and these are quite inspiring. The design I want is called a "Stump-Jumper", developed for fishing the shallow, tree-filled Reelfoot lake, here in West TN. Photos of the classic design can be seen here.

Looks fabulous!

Do you know why they call for wood dust, and not colloidal silica?  I know the CS is very hazardous for breathing, but seems like it would save a lot of weight over epoxy saturated wood dust.  The Colloidal Silica basically weighs nothing.  

49 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Looks fabulous!

Do you know why they call for wood dust, and not colloidal silica?  I know the CS is very hazardous for breathing, but seems like it would save a lot of weight over epoxy saturated wood dust.  The Colloidal Silica basically weighs nothing.  

I'm not sure, but the container of wood dust is pretty darn light also. I think the weight difference is minimal. The nice thing about wood dust is if you need extra it's pretty much free.

44 minutes ago, Coop said:

Great job. It’s going to be interesting to see how you cut the man hole out. I’m sure there is another name for it. 

There is a form on the deck that will be the cockpit. I just put the strips up against it to form the man hole.

Bmac when I watch your projects progress I get a little envy that you get after it till it's done, while i have stuff on my bench that's waiting waiting waiting for me to get back out there. I have too many dang hobbies....

That said, I really enjoy watching these things take shape, and so far it looks fantastic!

• Like 1