Diving in with a Kayak Build

Bmac

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Did the glass get trimmed after the first picture above? The reason I ask is because it looks like there are some folds in the fiberglass sheet along the edges. If the glass does get some folds how does that look after everything is covered with epoxy? My final question is how heavy is the fiberglass? It seems like it should be kind heavy but i have a feeling that it is deceptively light.

Also i can't help but notice that this doesn't look like your shop. Does it make the project more difficult not working in your shop or because it was a kit it doesn't matter much?

So yes, it's not my shop, it's my garage, and it's working well without my main tools as much of the work is easily handled with a handsaw, rasps and block plane. I also have a small festool vac and sanders I moved into the garage. It makes it easier in the garage as my shop isn't tied up, I have more room,  and I'm in a less of a dusty place.

I did not trim the glass after the first pic, I wanted to wrap it down to the hull. You are right about the folds of the draped glass over the sides, those were easily flattened and smoothed once it was wet and you can see in the bottom pic were the glass ends after wetting, basically where the previously sanded surface starts. There were definitely a few rough edges and excess glass fabric still left right at that edge, but that will be easily cleaned up and feathered into the hull. The main glassing above the edge doesn't have any folds but I can see in the second pic it may look like that, it's really just the edge i need to work.I will have some work/sanding to do in the area where the glass ends to get it smooth but it should be fine after the weave is filled with extra coats of epoxy. Basically I'll sand it first before the fill coats to get rid of the excess glass and then final sand after the fill coats. If you are left with a fold in the fabric after wetting, you can still smooth it and make it smooth with sanding, but if you sand through the glassing and it is a critical place you can add a patch of glass to that spot. Also, remember the hull already was glassed so this area where it wraps down to the hull has 2 layers of glass.

The weight of the glassing fabric is a little heavier that regular cloth but is pretty easy to shape once wet.

• Like 1

It's ounces per square yard.  I did a Google search for "fiberglass cloth explained", but didn't find one overall explanation of every type available.  Mostly it was different places explaining what they sold.

This is typical:   http://www.uscomposites.com/cloth.html

I have never seen 3 oz., like that place has listed.  There used to be something called "silkweight", which was otherwise known as 2 oz. which was used for things like covering paddles.  I expect someone still sells it.

Looks like they've gotten away from the old school cloth, that you could only wet out with polyester resin.  That's what we used mostly for boat repair in the mid '80's. 

Only towards the end of the eighties did we see cloth that you could wet out with epoxy, which brought on the world of Really lightweight surfboards, and sailboards.  Polyester will melt regular Styrofoam, so you had to use a heavier foam for boards before they came out with the cloth for epoxy.  That's when you could start shaping foam which weighed next to nothing, and why the boards became so much lighter.

@wtnhighlander, I have no idea if that would work or not, interesting thought. If it really bothered me I think the thing to do would have been to sand out before adding extra epoxy. 

If you look at it with a fresh coat of epoxy you can see it's less obvious, in fact I think some of the filler I used at the deck to combing juncture looks worse.  

IMG_2749.jpg.4c3d2cf55c81e0bacdbdc30ba7ba0bb9.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...