Adding a second garage door to the back

Hey guys trying to figure out the updates I want to do to the garage before moving in. It's a 2 car + and it can get pretty warm in the summer I will be insulating and drywalling it, the carport breezeway is nice and cool though. I was thinking it might be worth adding in a single car roll up door to the back side of the garage to get that cross breeze going on. 

Do you think this is a good idea? should it be directly inline with the 2 car garage or diagonal? Would it be better to just put a window in to not loose floor space? 

197209393_ScreenShot2020-07-23at1_53_24PM.thumb.jpg.30626bb1e3da9e6f0dde5e0c4775b0bb.jpg

1688238161_ScreenShot2020-07-23at1_54_49PM.thumb.jpg.06fd3ab4b30fe1eecd498553ef4187b0.jpg

Also I'm sort of tempted to do a wood instead of a garage roll up door, but roll up door would be easier to open and close.

98b182b3634aed99256833a1d31cba61.jpg.1a67284614b06dac14abf69ed04a3745.jpg46382c5d427da79ca1574e3956083ed2.jpg.789705d2773d7b6c337e215987be0637.jpg

41 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nice place! I don't have it in my shop but in our attached 3 car garage we have one on the back side of the single stall it makes a huge difference in the whole garage.

thanks! do you think you would prefer an openable window over the garage door? 

57 minutes ago, RichardA said:

George Washington used cross ventilation, with windows throughout the home in Mt Vernon.  Determine where the breeze comes from most of the year and layout a set of windows to use that breeze to your benefit.  Another garage door weakens your security somewhat, but lockable windows are less of a security risk.  The windows add extra light as well, as well as a view.  I have a set of windows in front of my bench that allows me to watch turkey, deer, possums and a ton of other critters as I work.  Truthfully though, when they are out there, I tend to stop work and just enjoy watching them.

I guess the window light would be much nicer in the winter when trying to keep the door closed and heated (I'm right at snow line so not super harsh winters tho). I guess I could technically do the double  bar style door with a window to get both?

Windows still allow you to have a bench or tools in front of the window.  That's harder to do in front of a door.  Windows can have screens, which is also harder to do with a door.  Crank out windows are easier to operate while leaning over a bench than are sash windows.  

But that looked like the boss standing by the truck.  You'd better check with management :).

I like doors on opposite ends of a shop.   Not only is the cross-ventilation nice, but when the wind is blowing from the right direction, and hard enough, it makes the perfect shop cleaning day with an electric leaf blower, and 4' wand on the air hose.

I installed swinging, windowed carriage house style doors at a former house but had the additional problem of owning a 130' wide lot with no rear yard access.  In your case, with that awesome breezeway, I would just go with windows.

One reason I was also leaning more towards the garage door / barn door is that my garage door is facing my neighbors house (can kind of see their yard from my place) but no one is behind the garage. So if I wanted to be virtuous about the noise I could just open the back garage door so the sound goes out that way?

• Like 1

I would get another opinion on the HVAC. Did your people quote a mini split or something else? It's worth a lot to me to be able to work comfortably year round.  My projects turn out better if the wood, glues, and finishes are at the proper temp and humidity.

You were considering this so maybe it might make sense to save towards a HVAC system. It also seems like the ultimate solution if there is concern about noise bothering the neighbors.

I bet some of the members have done a diy install of a mini split.  There are some on YouTube. Is that an option for you?

I also recommend a compromise decision on the roll up door vs windows. Install a regular 36" entry door or splurge for a double entry door. I put an outswing double entry door on my shop so I don't have to allow space for the door to swing in. This will still give you the option of cross ventilation, allow you to add window(s) for year round natural light, and not eat up overhead space or as much wall.

It is a nice space and will be great whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elrodk said:

I would get another opinion on the HVAC. Did your people quote a mini split or something else? It's worth a lot to me to be able to work comfortably year round.  My projects turn out better if the wood, glues, and finishes are at the proper temp and humidity.

You were considering this so maybe it might make sense to save towards a HVAC system. It also seems like the ultimate solution if there is concern about noise bothering the neighbors.

I bet some of the members have done a diy install of a mini split.  There are some on YouTube. Is that an option for you?

I also recommend a compromise decision on the roll up door vs windows. Install a regular 36" entry door or splurge for a double entry door. I put an outswing double entry door on my shop so I don't have to allow space for the door to swing in. This will still give you the option of cross ventilation, allow you to add window(s) for year round natural light, and not eat up overhead space or as much wall.

It is a nice space and will be great whatever you decide to do.

Good points check out Mr Cool a do it yourself mini split can be purchased for $1,500-2,000

1 hour ago, elrodk said:

This is a great idea. I have a double door on my shed and it offers both window and ventilation. I can't remember exact opening width but it's pretty wide. I can easily drive my ATV in the shed.

6359520298235150968.thumb.jpg.d6cfa84b97f857a6fb80c52d2d58734c.jpg

I couldn't find a finished picture of my shed, but it's amazing how well the grass and surrounding trees have filled in already.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

This is a great idea. I have a double door on my shed and it offers both window and ventilation. I can't remember exact opening width but it's pretty wide. I can easily drive my ATV in the shed.

6359520298235150968.thumb.jpg.d6cfa84b97f857a6fb80c52d2d58734c.jpg

I couldn't find a finished picture of my shed, but it's amazing how well the grass and surrounding trees have filled in already.

yeah that is a pretty good option, I could roll my dirtbike in and out of that as well. what are those kinds of doors with top half windows called? Lowes site46757543_ScreenShot2020-07-27at1_59_15PM.thumb.jpg.d30f206cf6b5046a859656f88546e78d.jpg1513267729_ScreenShot2020-07-27at1_59_21PM.thumb.jpg.fab68ef8be0f49c503d255cd6a16b03b.jpg I only see the ones that are like full windows. 

• 2 weeks later...

found the small window up high style is called 'craftsman door' and Home Depot guy said you can just buy singles and frame it out instead of buying a double set 

cheapest I could find though was $377 each: https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-30-in-x-80-in-6-Lite-Craftsman-Primed-Steel-Prehung-Left-Hand-Inswing-Front-Door-O03489/203282181

and $397 https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-34-in-x-80-in-6-Lite-Craftsman-Primed-Steel-Prehung-Right-Hand-Inswing-Front-Door-w-Brickmould-N32877/203193468

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Not sure if that removes the midle post or not, I would only do it that way if you can get it setup without a center post. That's a good idea though.

good call on double checking with that, I dont want the double frame. I thin it might need an upper/lower dead bolt type thing that goes into the floor/cieling like tough shed has otherwise you could just pull the door open I bet to break in

I haven’t found to to many options for the doors with the upper window (think its called craftsman style)

but started to look into shed doors;

https://shedsunlimited.net/replacement-storage-shed-doors-in-wood-or-raised-panel

not sure quality or how these are built. the tough-shed ones are metal frame with wood for exterior part

unnamed.jpg