Need Help Interpreting These Instructions

The photos below are taken from a May/June 1997 edition of Fine Woodworking for a Pennsylvania Spice Box.I cant make sense of the left side of the bottom tailboard. It says to cut the tails then shave them down to 3/8” thickness. I understand that part, but I don’t understand where it says to “Trim 1/2” off end”. What end..? Normally this “end” would be cut away when making the tails...??? I’m sure that it’s simple but I can’t figure it out?

CBFA3020-5F93-45C7-A57F-FCDC1F341179.jpeg

CC284525-2C1F-42A3-90AC-F655EB73BA00.jpeg

So the side that it mates to has a rabbet along the entire edge. The rabbet is 1/4" deep along the side. If the material is 3/4" then the remaining material along the edge would be 1/2" thick. That 1/2" would need to be removed from the front bottom edge so the bottom doesn't interfere with the side dovetails going together.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Don Z. said:

I read it as making that final tail a "stubby" to give room for the bottom moldings.

In other words, cut the tails as normal, then take that last tail and make it a half inch shorter than it used to be...

The description says that there are “4 tails” to be cut. So from what all of you are telling me, I should cut four tails then instead of removing the shoulder I should leave a 1/4” stub...?

That stub is a part of the bottom of the case that sits flush with and underneath the door. If you do not cut it off, it will stick out beyond the door. Look at the right side. It should be clear there. Drew answered your question by referencing a rabbet. That rabbet is where the doors sits. 

39 minutes ago, Hammer5573 said:

NOW I see it...! Looks like there is another stub on the back side also (doesn't say anything about it in the narrative)..?

In the narrative it suggests using a router to shave the tails down to 3/8" . Any other ideas..?

Seems like a good job for a bench chisel.

LIF you cut thecovetail and  the rabbets  and try to aasemble the casr, you will seethat there is wood in the way that has to be removed.  I suggest not triming off 1/2" unitl yo have cut the dovetails and rebbets, the acual amount to be remove might be slightly more or less.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm making progress with the the spice box; the carcass is completed. The instructions indicate that the drawers are joined with half-blind dovetails. The drawer sides are 1/4" thick and the drawer fronts are 3/8" thick. Has anybody ever made half-blinds on drawers this small; any suggestions...?