5/4 x 8" x 12' decking

A favorite "meme" from my youth (1970s) is shown in the attachment.  Yuck, yuck.

Well, my plans for the deck in the back yard require (now) that one end of the deck be a 5/4 x 8" x 12' decking board.  They don't make that board (at least, they don't sell it at Menards, Lowes or Homey Depot). 

What would be the best approach to getting a board like this?  The options I can think of are:

1. Rip one edge off of two 5/4 x 6" x 12' boards, and then gluing them (with biscuits or dowels) into a 8" wide board.
  2. Get a 2x8x12 and resawing it.

Both of these would be hard for me.  I don't have a bandsaw, so resawing would be tricky.  And the space in my basement workshop is fashioned around dealing with 8-foot material.  So ripping a 12' board, or jointing it, would be tricky.

Which seems easier to you?  What alternatives can you propose?

Plan-Ahead.jpg

2x8 will only be 7-1/4" wide.  It will also shrink, and maybe go in other directions too.

Find a clear 2x10.  Let it dry for a couple of months, and if it's still okay by then, dress it down to the required thickness.

I keep treated boards drying for years, with no idea what they will be used for, but they sure do come in handy when you need one.

• Like 1

I guess what kind of wood is it? Treated, cedar, ipe?

Can you shave the joists? Not sure if this is feasible or possible. Just a thought to get 2x material to work.

Personally if it was 2 different sections of deck I'd just use 6" width material. My parents house and lake cabin both have deck sections with 2 different width styles next to each other and it doesn't look bad but they are obvious and different sections with a step between them for transition.

3 hours ago, Tpt life said:

You can buy kiln dried treated. That does not need to sit to dry. 

In my limited experience, this statement is not necessarily true. The KDAT lumber is dried about as effectively as any other dimensional lumber, which is to say it retains enough moisture to do crazy things when you put it out in the sun.

A question about why you need an 8" wide board?

If it is just to make the widths work out evenly across the joists, I think you would be better off to trim a little width from each of the several preceeding 6" boards, rather than try to glue up a wider piece. That method is all but guaranteed to not turn out well, unless perhaps if you are painting over it.

• Like 1