Dedicated cross cut table saw

treesner

Anyone have Two table saws, one setup with regular fence and one setup for cross cut? I feel like it would be ideal to be able to leave them both setup all the time.
I do not have a chopsaw currently though so not sure if I had one that it would take the place of most of my cross cut needs or not. Finally have room for one though. 

If you were to go with a chop saw and spend a little money on one they stay in good alignment unless the get banged or bumped pretty hard.  I have the Bosch Glide 12 inch and leave it mostly at 90 degrees.  I have had it set up for 4 or more years and haven't had to re-adjust anything.  Also you get better cuts with it if you stay away form thin kerf blades.

56 minutes ago, Chet said:

If you were to go with a chop saw and spend a little money on one they stay in good alignment unless the get banged or bumped pretty hard.  I have the Bosch Glide 12 inch and leave it mostly at 90 degrees.  I have had it set up for 4 or more years and haven't had to re-adjust anything.  Also you get better cuts with it if you stay away form thin kerf blades.

yeah I think I'm in-between a Bosch guide or a festool kapex which has a dado feature that looks pretty handy. or the opposite direction and just get a tiny battery powered chop saw for misc stuff, keep my dewalt table saw for cross cutting and get a saw stop for regular table saw stuff. 

I have grandpa's 1950's 113. saw waiting for just such a deployment.  In my mind I see this small saw with a 2HP (also waiting) motor, no wings or fence and just a sled for crosscuts.  Smaller foot print than an SCMS, no angle skills at all but, better dust collection and greater accuracy ;-)

15 hours ago, treesner said:

yeah I think I'm in-between a Bosch guide or a festool kapex which has a dado feature that looks pretty handy. or the opposite direction and just get a tiny battery powered chop saw for misc stuff, keep my dewalt table saw for cross cutting and get a saw stop for regular table saw stuff. 

The bosch glide does have a depth stop for cutting dados though i'm not sure how accuratly it can cut them. I feel that's an operation best suited for a table say. Unless you are making something where a little gap here or there isn't a major concern, like shop furniture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

The bosch glide does have a depth stop for cutting dados though i'm not sure how accuratly it can cut them. I feel that's an operation best suited for a table say. Unless you are making something where a little gap here or there isn't a major concern, like shop furniture.

I've used my Bosch glide to cut dados a couple of times and it worked out just fine. But I agree, a table saw or router table are by far better suited for those cuts.