Will this swing last for years?

Scooby

Howdy,

So my wood working journey started with building A-style swing frame and the swing porch. For the frame, I use 4 by 4 by 8ft pressure treated lumber. There seems to be a lot of cracks along the posts as the wood dries up and I a not sure if it will be an issue. Those pressure treated posts have small cracks everywhere.

As you can see, the cuts are not perfect and I am still improving. I decided not to dig underground and the frame just stays above ground. The swing porch was only 3 ft wide and made with cedar. I have to say the the cedar smell good and pleasant when it cut it. Since the porch is 3ft wide, there will be only 1 or 2 ppl sitting at the same time.

The question is whether it will last for years with those amateur cuts and voids. I had to drill across top the bar to install the hangers which requires 4 lag bolts.If you think the top bar (4 by 4 by 8ft) strong enough, I will add some shade at the top  with 2 by 2 by 4ft and grow vines later. I would love to do that for this swing. Otherwise, I will keep it as it is and wait for it to fail. There won't be any snow in Texas , just heat and rain :D

P/S: My 5 yrs old son and I enjoy the swing and it seems to be stable for now.  So what do you think?

20200822_111641.jpg

20200822_113342.jpg

20200822_112908.jpg

20200822_084339.jpg

It will last for several years. The weakest link is the bottoms touching the dirt. the ends will eventually rot. It will last a lot longer than untreated wood. If you poured four footings and applied simpson clips to the bottom, you would solve for the weakest issue. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-ABA-ZMAX-Galvanized-Adjustable-Standoff-Post-Base-for-4x4-Nominal-Lumber-ABA44Z/100374999 

If not the one in the link, they make many different ones.

• Like 1

Today's treated lumber lasts an amazingly long time in ground contact.

For future reference, a commercial swing frame I own is made from clear treated pine 2x4s screwed together with stainless screws, to avoid the cracks you see in 4x4 posts.

Another way to secure the frame against storm winds, and minimize ground contact, is to place a concrete paver block under each foot, then drive auger-type anchors into the ground very close to two feet, diagonally opposed. Run an eye bolt through the leg, and attach it to the anchor with a short chain. To REALLY cinch it down against large arc swinging, use a turnbuckle to pull the leg down, tight as possible.

• Like 1