Easy way to finish/paint house doors


Tom King
 Share

Recommended Posts

I may lose those two doors.  I probably waited too late to start painting them. It must have been after 7 when I started.  The big mistake was doing it a different way than I have always done it.  There was some water based primer left from another job-Sherwin-Wiliams Wall & Wood, so I used that.  This was the first time using water based primer on doors.

Our humidity was still high near dark, and it hadn't done much drying.  We've been pushing hard to get the changes made before we go pick up my 104 year old Mother, to bring her home tomorrow at 10:30 in the morning.  Everything is not going to get done.  I still have handrails to put up in the bathroom, and a pocket door to hang, and trim out.

I just turned these two doors up on edge, to have a little possibility of protection from dew, or rain.  We'll see in the morning if they are trash, or can be sanded out.

 

IMG_2659.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No need for anything added with airless.  Straight out of the can.

The doors made it just fine.  They really look like that coat could not have been better, and hardy need any sanding.  Will spray the top coat at about 8 this morning, and hope I can hang them before we leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

@Tom KingThank you for sharing this. I read it back in August and apparently it made enough of an impression on me that I remembered it months later as I'm planning to redo all of our doors here soon. Unfortunately it will be too cold to paint them outside so I guess I'll be painting them all by hand inside for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, legenddc said:

@Tom KingThank you for sharing this. I read it back in August and apparently it made enough of an impression on me that I remembered it months later as I'm planning to redo all of our doors here soon. Unfortunately it will be too cold to paint them outside so I guess I'll be painting them all by hand inside for a while.

Sherwin Williams snapdry is a good option for quick indoor door painting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, VizslaDad said:

Sherwin Williams snapdry is a good option for quick indoor door painting.

That's real interesting and would certainly speed things up. I'm basically planning to take out flat slab doors and attach some 1/4 plywood to them so it looks like 3 panel doors. I figure coating the plywood will be 2 coats of decent primer so the wood doesn't bleed through. This Snapdry would save a ton of time assuming I can get it to match the rest of the trim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

That's real interesting and would certainly speed things up. I'm basically planning to take out flat slab doors and attach some 1/4 plywood to them so it looks like 3 panel doors. I figure coating the plywood will be 2 coats of decent primer so the wood doesn't bleed through. This Snapdry would save a ton of time assuming I can get it to match the rest of the trim.

Sounds like a solid plan. My wife painted our doors with the Snapdry product with them still hung on the hinges on a not-too-hot, not too humid summer day. I was surprised by how well they came out (my wife is an excellent painter, but I was skeptical about paint that kicks so quickly). So long as you can get the Sherwin-Williams name or number for your trim color it should match just fine. I am not aware of limitations in color matching for that product (though I am by no means an expert on their or any other paint product line). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 110 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    29.9k
    Total Topics
    406k
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    22526
    Total Members
    3644
    Most Online
    DeeLee88
    Newest Member
    DeeLee88
    Joined