One of my wood dealers has this listed as exotics and is $7.15 bf. How does that compare with what you guys are paying? This is consistently the highest price of the three around here but have not checked pricing at the other two. 

Looks like the further north you go, the better the price. This is some beautiful wood that I have never used. Looks like I just need to bite the bullet and build something small with it! 

• Like 1

I’ve seen projects on here and others where too much figure is unbecoming. Sapele seems to be right in the middle where it would look good in most builds.  Gonna be included in my next project. 

• Like 1

I agree it’s an ok wood, reminds me of mahogany, and not a fan of that wood, straight grain, cuts and machines well with sharp tools, having said that @Mick S has the right idea, QS is the way to go for fine furniture just look at what he’s built to see what I mean

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Coop said:

I don’t know. This looks pretty damn nice to me!

Proofs in the pudding or in this case, the pic! 

Dont put words on my mouth. Didnt say it looked bad...

I bought these the other day on the internet. Looks nothing like the picture in a home enviroment in home lighting. But looks great directly under the light... Now if I had bought a 1000 chips I would have been pissed...

20200922_182215.jpg

Since we're talking about Sapele, I would like to know if it requires a grain filler before finishing..? Sapele is a sub-species of Mahogany and according to the Janka hardness scale Sapele is around 1500 whereas African Mahogany is much lower. I've always used a grain filler on my African Mahogany projects but the grain on the Sapele that I currently working with is much more dense (I think that its quartersawn).  I'm assuming that grain filler is not required; am I correct..?

I think grain filler is generally a dirty word, unless on an open pored wood that will be used as a writing surface or that will be subject to getting dirty. Otherwise the main effect seems to just make the filled & finished wood look like plastic.

23 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

In that case, yes. I would lean toward a clear filler, like Aquacoat, or simply building up and sanding back coats of super blonde shellac. French polish really needs a smooth base.

Thanks for the advice; I'll go the blonde shellac route