Quartersawn White Oak

Cliff

Anyone have a favorite technique for finishing quartersawn white oak? I'm looking towards Wood Whisperer's Grandfather Clock as an inspiration. I assume there is no problem with putting ARS on top of a dye, but I have no idea for sure. 

I'm open minded to some ideas. I've never used QSWO before, but to me it's the one wood that looks good with a stain of some sort on it.

Chemical reaction coloring, like iron acetate (vinegar & iron) or lye, work similarly to the ammonia fuming process, but produce different tones. Iron acetate leans toward gray-black, while lye is more caramel colored. These methods will produce the most pleasing results if all the wood is from one tree. Otherwise, striking variations may occur.

You can use the industrial stuff but I used some I got from Ace Hardware and it worked fine, 6 hours in the plastic tent I built gave a nice color, you have to be careful not to breath it of course, do a search here for some great info as usual, the time in the fumes determines the color you want

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

You can use the industrial stuff but I used some I got from Ace Hardware and it worked fine, 6 hours in the plastic tent I built gave a nice color, you have to be careful not to breath it of course, do a search here for some great info as usual, the time in the fumes determines the color you want

You'd certainly know better than I, that's just what I read somewhere. It's good to know that the household stuff will work.

37 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

This is quartered white oak. door panels curly quartered. I finished it with waterlox transparent sealer. I apply it with a sponge brush. Very easy. If there is a surface that will get a lot of wear, the company makes a compatible varnish.

Beautiful piece @curlyoak !!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...