Ever Have One of Those Days?

Keggers

Have you ever had one of those days where you walk out to your shop - look around and see all sorts of things that you could do - and just want to turn around, walk out the door, lock it, and go back to the house? Well, I'm having one of those days today. Maybe it's because it's Friday the 13th. Maybe it's because I'm in the shop seven days a week. I don't know, but today I'm having one of those days. There is plenty that I could do. Sweep the floor, empty the dust collectors, empty the shop vacs, assemble a project that i'm building for my wife. Lots of things. What did I choose to do? Well.......you're reading this forum, so I guess you figured it out.

I'm interested in how other folks deal with this situation or am I the only one?

I've found the best thing to do when this happens (and it happens to everyone) is step away.

You're much more likely to injure yourself if you're distracted or just not interested in what you're doing.

Take a break, go do something else you like, or heck just go do nothing at all. Soon enough you'll be motivated and back at it!

When I was first learning how to program, I pulled a lot of all-nighters. I learned that, if my body really wanted me to sleep, it would punish me for staying awake and trying to work. The first time I'd make a stupid typo and waste some time fixing it. The second time I might accidentally delete a chunk of code and have to do it over. The third time I might accidentally delete the entire program. I learned that when I made that first dumb mistake, it was time to take a break, before I did any more damage.

I really don't want to find out what the power tool equivalent of deleting a file is.

When I make a dumb mistake in the shop - I leave the shop. But, I'm talking about dumb mistakes that I wouldn't have made if I was paying attention, not inexperience or bad luck.

Yes. I've had one of those days.

My hobbies are to keep me sane and my mind off of work. As such, I have too many hobbies to allow one to get stale on me. Life is full of obligations and I can't allow a hobby to feel like an obligation. When it's not fun, not a welcome distraction to the realities of life, then I go do something else.