Vice options on a Roubo Bench

Tobykanobe

Hi all.  Just thinking ahead on my Roubo Bench build.  Will be using Marc's video series on the build.  What I'm interested in is not only using the vices that are in the plan but also adding a wagon vice and a shoulder vice similar to what Rob Cosman has on his bench.  Do any of you have such an addition on your bench?  Pictures would be nice.  Also, if you want to talk me out of either, I'm listening.

Thx guys!

Toby

My personal opinion is that the shoulder vise is mostly good for injuring your tender bits as you walk by. I think a leg vise and a good end vise are plenty, but it really comes down to your workflow, and the type of things you make. Cosman uses his shoulder vise for a lot of hand-cut dovetails, whereas I would use my end vise, and many would use a Moxon vise.

• Haha 1

I don't like the look of the shoulder vise. It's interesting and i can see how it works really well but DANG that thing would get in the way constantly. I agree with the accurate assessment of walking into it with your tender bits...

https://www.in-kleind.com/store/Twin-Turbo-Vise-c34750217

I think the twin turbo vise is a good option. I have bought one and am going to mount it in a leg vise fashion not as an end vise.

I also can't help but observing that the sliding dead man and a hold fast in conjunction with a leg vise would accomplish the same thing as the shoulder vise but would be more flexible and stick out a lot less. Crosman doesn't appear to have a roubo style bench so these are not something he is capable of using. For wider dovetails I'd be using the leg vise and sliding dead man.

@Tobykanobe, I'm not sure I understood the question, but it sounds like you are considering installing 4 vises, shoulder, leg, end and wagon (tail).  I've considered the same thing and I think it could be done if you have enough money to spend, time to expend and shop expanse.  Since the functionality of the vises is redundant, the prime mover for such a daydream is that I don't really know what vise I'd most like using.  So you know if I ever built this, inside of two years I'd be using one vise most of the time, a second vise some of the time, and the other two almost never.  

3 hours ago, drzaius said:

I just don't get the shoulder vice. Every time I see Rob Cosman reaching over his shoulder vice to cut dovetails, my back starts to ache. And then there are the tender bits to worry about.

To me, it appears that Rob uses his shoulder vise like most of us use a Moxon. His person to bench height ratio makes it work out about the same.