Platform for jon boat

BillyJack

18 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

I don't keep fish, but I have to assume the next owner might so I have to figure that out as well...

Just make a compartment large enough to hold a cooler. To make it a "live" well, it will need an aquarium pump to supply O2, or a bilge-type pump to circulate external water through it.

Although, I'd want a jon boat with a pretty wide beam for a deck like that. Those things are a little tippy.

Been looking at conversions to bass boat. Around $100  to home make a live well. $30-$50 for a bilge pump. 

Looking at t rated plywood... Guess I have to get the correct one.I'll probably use hollow ribs....

Probably go to Basspro and see what kind of trolling more for the boat...

• Like 1

Not only a bilge pump, but a way to pull out the panels, in case you need to bail.  You also want to be able to open it up to get good ventilation down there.  In the photo you have, you can see the hinges.  

I'd need to see the actual boat, but my first shot would be to place beams across to the stringers, and then marine ply over that.  I'd put vents fore and aft, and as said, use stringers.  A live well isn't that hard, and WEST or SystemThree is your new best friend.

I have zero interest in making a boat.I spent 37 years in the shop. Id rather spend my time s

Fishing and grabbing some rays....

Sadly it was the clamps and router and not the combination sander. Might sell the sander for a nice trolling motor??????

Remember I would rather fish than woodwork...

• Like 1

I've got the entire winter to get it ready. My concern is would he bearing hold for 10 miles. I've seen some for $500-$600 with operating trolling motors and registered. Just trying to hold. The boat in the I'm thinking $200 would be a fair offer since I have to cut a tree down...

That boat has been there long enough I think free is the right price. At this point they are goign to have to pay to dispose of if. Your going to have to dispose of the motor somehow I'm assuming. The troller probably doesn't work. It'll need 3 new tires and new bearings. That is assuming you won't be chasing leaks for the next 10 years. If you are putting a deck in you'll want to make sure all the rivets are sound and not leaky.

• Like 2

On a fixer upper a lot of time will be spent in leaking. Like anything if it's sealed tight today over time it may develop a leak. Why I think a bilge pump will be important...

On an aluminum boat I'm trying to figure out if it's more important to seal the outside or inside of these little boats...I've got to look into the right products to finish this boat. I'm gonna treat it like an old car. 

On 10/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, BillyJack said:

Might sell the sander for a nice trolling motor??

Look for the trolling motors with GPS as an option. And a remote control on a necklace. 3 in a small boat works with a GPS trolling motor. Like having a helper on the boat. Get the lithium batteries. Expensive up front but cheaper in the long run with excellent attributes. Worth the price.