Platform for jon boat

BillyJack

They make lithium battery trolling motors? Interesting.

I'm not a big fan of the necklace.... I always need to adjust the trolling motor when both of my hands are full of fish and rod. I much prefer the foot pedal setups personally.

The GPS units with map functionality are awesome. It's like cheating, almost ruins the fun. Though i don't catch fish, i could have the exact same rod setup as the next guy in the boat. He'll catch 10 and I'll have driven the boat for 2 hours. I'm the best guy to go fishing with.

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not a big fan of the necklace

You would love it if there was 2 or more people in the boat.

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

They make lithium battery trolling motors?

That and now Hummers. Lithium is a planetary game changer. Put a new lithium battery in your desk drawer. 20 years later like new. Use 10% of AH and recharge. Zero penalty. Your cost is 10% of a cycle. All others is a full cycle penalty. Require much less weight and volume for the same AH. In lead acid you can use 50% of AH. Lithium up to 90%

3 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

You would love it if there was 2 or more people in the boat.

Oh I've used one quite a bit it's how my dad's boat is setup. We're usually fishing with 3-4 people. Trouble is on the bigger lakes wind is too much of a factor and with a fish on the boat gets away fast. We tend to have 2 people drive the boat one with the foot pedal the other with the remote. The guy with the foot pedal ends up doing 80% of the driving.

I should say the foot pedal has the same controls as the remote it's just on your feet. So instead of pushing the button i just hit the button with my foot. I'm doing the same thing. The troller handles river currents well as they are more predictable but the wind gusts play havoc with the unit.

I don't have a depth finder in my boat. I find fish by trolling and then once i get a few i hit the areas with casting. I have the best luck constantly moving though.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I should say the foot pedal has the same controls as the remote it's just on your feet. So instead of pushing the button i just hit the button with my foot. I'm doing the same thing. The troller handles river currents well as they are more predictable but the wind gusts play havoc with the unit.

I don't have a depth finder in my boat. I find fish by trolling and then once i get a few i hit the areas with casting. I have the best luck constantly moving though.

The depth guage told were the deeper parts are on the lake. On a dry year depth makes a difference

I know I have already committed the cardinal sin of suggesting building something out of wood on a woodworking forum, and for that I apologize and seek atonement.

I would like to mention that the bow on that boat looks a little fine to make a platform all the way through.  A pedestal seat up front, maybe, about a quarter of the way aft, and a platform in the stern would be OK, but I'd check on the metacentric height before I built full length.  

What I mean is, compare the bow of that boat to the punt you have in your first photo.  One will have far more form stability than the other.  Just something to think about.

• Like 1

Guess he said the motor and trolling motor both worked last time he took the boat out. 

If either work especially the motor it's a bonus. I was at basspro today trying to find a shop that will check it.

The boats  I guess has  a built in live well. 

I may  not have to completely put a platform on this boat. The front seat and rear swivel 360...

Interesting boat... the guy who sold it to me has a State brand oscillating sander and some other woodworking equipment and is looking into getting into guitar making

• Like 1

The motor is a project on its own. Most the boat places won't touch it because it's old. Once I have the boat I can run down someone who can help....

Looking at the plywood while at the boat.... it was shot.. I lifted some up. Rotted. It's rained so much in Missouri, nothing unprotected got ruined. Especially illy if in the shade...

Because the boat already has a bilge pump and live well I only need check, repair and put new parts in. The factory bilge pump is in so it already tells me how to reinstall it. 

The tires are 155/80R/13... I may have to get a taller tire...

On one hand I replace the existing wood and use the boat. On the other I raise the floor and seats ....I've got to look into the star age part. Called insurance they will insure the boat for $150  plus I want contents covers it wil. Be a bit extra...

• Like 1

For over there today to put l the wheels so I can get them repaired. I'm really impressed as far as a fishing boat goes. Could tell but I believe the main floor has plywood on it. Everything else seems to be aluminum...

Not Wvinrude best I can tell is 1973 Sportwin .. live well has water, no leaks

20201108_133938.jpg

20201108_133936.jpg

20201108_133933.jpg

20201108_132316.jpg

20201108_132300.jpg

20201108_132254.jpg