Platform for jon boat

BillyJack

46 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Fiahing?  Is that a new hobby?  Does it require more tools to buy, huh, huh?

fiShing....pardon my fat thumbs. But there are ALWAYS more tools to buy. Just today, I had to convince my SIL that buying her new son-in-law clamps for Christmas was indeed NOT boring, and would bring him great joy.

Sort of like giving diapers to new parents.

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was very concerned about the bearing when I was looking to purchase it. When I jacked it up to take the rims off both sides moved freely wit out problem. I figured there sealed. I only went 10 miles aro8nd 1535 mph max. 

One of the straps on the rear broke from dry rot.  The bearing will be repacked this winter

I thought this needed a whole new floor, but it's aluminum with carpet. Changes my build in rod and box storage ideal.

Decision, decisions...hum...

• Like 1

On the live well. It has a plywood top. Anything else I can use for a cover?

Anybody on the live well bilge pump. One goes through the floor in the rear. Anybody understand how this works? It definetly  will get replaced....

There is a noticeable leak in the back. I knew when I washed it out and things dried things would show. Figure out how to patch that ...

That type of live well should be plumbed to draw in water and circulate it back out, so that the fish always have fresh water. Of course, that compartment is separated from the rest of the hull.

Is the leak around the plywood transom?  If that is rotted, IMO, best to replace it with a new piece of marine plywood, but I have seen many such replaced with PT pine. The boat I had included a stress crack in the aluminum at the corner of the transom, so I repaired it with fiberglass cloth and resin. 

There's no reason to put the bearings in the water to launch a boat that size.

I had an inboard ski boat that you had to float on, and off the trailer.  I took it to college with me a couple of years.  When I found that boat, it was in much worse shape than this one.  It was sunk in shallow water, and abandoned.  No numbers left on anything. There was a small lake that we used to ski on that only had a sand ramp, near school.  My Girlfriend would have to drive the car, while I pushed it with the boat to get it going so it wouldn't get stuck pulling the boat out.

That's some good luck to have an aluminum floor!!  I'd take it to a car wash before I pressure washed it.

I’ve used Flex Seal before to protect a metal gate post and to also repair a leak in a concrete bird bath. The post went into the ground so I have no idea how much protection it afforded it but the bird bath no longer leaks. And I see now that they also have a cloth patch. 

14 hours ago, Tom King said:

There's no reason to put the bearings in the water to launch a boat that size.

I had an inboard ski boat that you had to float on, and off the trailer.  I took it to college with me a couple of years.  When I found that boat, it was in much worse shape than this one.  It was sunk in shallow water, and abandoned.  No numbers left on anything. There was a small lake that we used to ski on that only had a sand ramp, near school.  My Girlfriend would have to drive the car, while I pushed it with the boat to get it going so it wouldn't get stuck pulling the boat out.

That's some good luck to have an aluminum floor!!  I'd take it to a car wash before I pressure washed it.

I have no ideal how the boat launches yet. But it's been sitting 10 years and the trailer is a 1985 I want to go back to scratch with packing bearings...I guess there is no inspection, but I'll have to get lights working etc....

I noticed you have a regular press on cap over the wheel spindle. Theres caps you can get with a zerk fitting so you can pump grease in after a trip to the lake to displace any water that may have gotten in. As far as the lights with such a simple wiring harness you would be better off to strip it all off and put new wires in, as well as replace the lamp housing with an led housing.

Cleaned er put as best I can. Pumps work. When I get it inside I'll run through the trolling motor.

Im open with any suggestions on rod storage and bait storage. Because it has an aluminum platform it kinda screws up my original plans.im go9ng to pull off the front deck to see what I can do....

20201117_075046.jpg

20201117_075035.jpg

Permanent rod storage, or just storage during the trip? If you have several rods, maybe a pool cue type rack with rear cleats for wall mounting, and side tabs to attach to the deck while fishing. If the tabs were hinged, the rack could fold against the deck for travel, and flip up against the hull for access while fishing.