Outdoor storage box for a generator

curlyoak

E74E72AD-FE35-4716-AEA7-7F1821B5CD11_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4d9292c410abc0d5035b1abe700576aa.jpeg

This generator belongs to a neighbor. They have no indoor storage space. No ice or snow. This is Florida. However the climate is corrosive on wooden things. 

My thinking is to build a box with no bottom. I will use marine 3/4 ply. On the bottom edge I will join western red cedar. On the corners I will add a 4" long piece of cedar so just the corners are on the slab. And below that I will add high density plastic 1/2". That way the only contact with the slab is the plastic. I will leave a 1 1/2" space around the sides and top on the inside. The top will be slightly pitched to allow water to run off. And the top will have an overhang on all sides and fastened to the base. The top will be edged off with cedar.  This box is for storage only. Most likely will be needed if we get a hurricane. Other than that nothing. So there will be a handle on each end to lift it off to operate. 

I'm not sure of the finish. I was thinking an epoxy paint. Open for ideas on the finish and any other considerations.

Notice I said  "if" not when we get a hurricane. I hope this generator is never needed.

• Like 2