top heavy cabinet

treesner

I'd like to build a large garage cabinet (similar in size to those double door metal ones) but was thinking about doing the top deeper than the bottom since I usually end up leaning bikes and such against the lower half. plus I think it would look kind of cool to make. 

Think it would be to top heavy on casters and something I would end up having to screw to the wall? the overhang I see would only be about 9-12" 

layout snooks garage 10-15-20-02.jpg

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Top-heavy, yes. Might be mitigated by weighting the bottom, but that is risk for a mobile platform. You roll it across the floor and hit a bit of schmutz that stops a wheel, it will topple in a heartbeat.  Safest to make it stationary, and either fix it to the wall, or counter-weight the bottom.

yeah I feel like the wheels would make it more of a problem rather than just stationary. although its not like its something I'm moving around regularly just if I want to change my shop or move somewhere further down the line. so I guess I could take precaution and just push it from the heavy side

but maybe some kind of weights in the back or under would make sense 

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

That profile image makes me pucker, unless it was anchored to the wall.

No offense but where lies the problem? I don’t think you could intentionally make it tilt forward unless you were pushing from behind it and hit an obstacle. 

1 hour ago, Coop said:

No offense but where lies the problem? I don’t think you could intentionally make it tilt forward unless you were pushing from behind it and hit an obstacle. 

Think of the top shelves being filled with heavy stuff, and then maybe a small curious person trying to pull themselves up just a bit to have a better look. You can guess the rest. The number of little people that get killed & injured by tipping furniture is way higher than it should be already.

• Thanks 1

Cant you reverse it? Have the deeper portion on the bottom. That is what you see on furniture like a hutch. Deep shelves high are hard to manage. Easier on the bottom to load. Your upper kitchen cabinets are only 12" deep and 24" on the bottom. What is the function of the cabinet? What will be stored inside?

8 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Cant you reverse it? Have the deeper portion on the bottom. That is what you see on furniture like a hutch. Deep shelves high are hard to manage. Easier on the bottom to load. Your upper kitchen cabinets are only 12" deep and 24" on the bottom. What is the function of the cabinet? What will be stored inside?

I believe part of the initial design consideration was making an area @treesner could tuck a dirtbike into.