best organizing bins

treesner

anyone have good sources for nice shelf organizing bins 

I need quite a few around the size of 4x4x12 (but varying by a couple inches from bin to bin) 

I'd like to find a company that has a number of sizes and will be around for awhile for future expansion of the system, hopefully affordable shipping. 

looking at uline right now but would love to hear your experience 

https://www.uline.com/Grp_325/Plastic-Bins

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13396BL/Plastic-Bins/Plastic-Shelf-Bins-4-x-12-x-4-Black

kind of annoying they have 24 minimum 

8 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

You are a woodworker, get some quarter inch ply and a box joint jig and go to town with it. Clamping several sets together would make quick work of the box joints.

True words. Box joints are incredibly strong, and once you're set up, very quick to do. My favorite method is William Ng's, as demonstrated on his YouTube channel. It's simple & foolproof.

Your intended use will alter their value to you.  I've sent all my open bins packing.  Even when they were on the other side of a half-wall they still got full of debris over time.  OK for large hardware but, not much use to me for screws and such that I use for furniture.  I use lidded organizers (Plano, before their prices went stupid) that slide into cubbies versus stacking them up.  A small label on the end gets me to what I want quickly and more cleanly than open containers.  Just sharing my experience.

• Like 2

I use AkroBins from Akro-Mils. They are relatively inexpensive and widely available. I got the rack for about $35 from another woodworker who was rearranging his shop. The bins I purchased myself, but depending on where one lives I imagine they can be found used on Craigslist and the like. I see them frequently on my local Craigslist. 

My current setup is suboptimal. I really shouldn't have bins in bins if I can avoid it. It's nice to be able to retrieve fasteners etc. without sifting through (and likely spilling) multiple bins. A future shop project will see me house that freestanding rack in a cabinet with shopmade bin hangers (cheap steel shelf standards atop 3/4 ply strips) affixed to the doors and sides/rear for additional storage. One reason I went this direction is because I have a huge assortment of fasteners for woodworking and construction after buying an embarrassment of them from a retired contractor's moving sale. If I kept all of them in the milk crates I brought them home in I would still end up running to the store to buy carriage bolts vs finding them in the crates (for example).  

Pros: 

- easy to rack using the little hook on the back. 

- contents easy to see and find when setup appropriately

- label holders, lids, etc. are available

Cons:

- not free

- storage is not dense...lots of wall and/or cabinet space required to make reasonable use of them 

186075523_IMG_8803copy.jpg.62cd23c387f30e123feddf051e17eccc.jpg1989368907_IMG_8804copy.jpg.414df8e5e355eb467d3cb6be3a2b3410.jpg1044244686_IMG_8806copy.jpg.915639593901b783f488a7f80f9dbeee.jpg

For bin nesting reference 

purchased a bunch of these 

https://www.uline.com/BL_8768/Plastic-Shelf-Bins 2 3/4 x 12 x 4" outter dimension 

they sell little dividers in packs of 50 for 18. 

they also sell plastic bin cups in 2x3x3 and 3x5x3 too in packs of 48 for $26-$40

but I did find that my little divider cups from harbor organizers  freight nest in there nicely and they stack 

https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/parts-storage/organizers/15-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93929.html 15 bins for 7$

I think these are the same but cant confirm https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/parts-storage/organizers/20-bin-medium-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html 20 bins for 10$

IMG_8149.thumb.jpeg.c9d7c7894e034e1d21ee53d5623a9315.jpeg

184837BL_05.jpg?t=1179288000000

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 9:48 AM, VizslaDad said:

I use AkroBins from Akro-Mils. They are relatively inexpensive and widely available. I got the rack for about $35 from another woodworker who was rearranging his shop. The bins I purchased myself, but depending on where one lives I imagine they can be found used on Craigslist and the like. I see them frequently on my local Craigslist. 

My current setup is suboptimal. I really shouldn't have bins in bins if I can avoid it. It's nice to be able to retrieve fasteners etc. without sifting through (and likely spilling) multiple bins. A future shop project will see me house that freestanding rack in a cabinet with shopmade bin hangers (cheap steel shelf standards atop 3/4 ply strips) affixed to the doors and sides/rear for additional storage. One reason I went this direction is because I have a huge assortment of fasteners for woodworking and construction after buying an embarrassment of them from a retired contractor's moving sale. If I kept all of them in the milk crates I brought them home in I would still end up running to the store to buy carriage bolts vs finding them in the crates (for example).  

Pros: 

- easy to rack using the little hook on the back. 

- contents easy to see and find when setup appropriately

- label holders, lids, etc. are available

Cons:

- not free

- storage is not dense...lots of wall and/or cabinet space required to make reasonable use of them 

186075523_IMG_8803copy.jpg.62cd23c387f30e123feddf051e17eccc.jpg1989368907_IMG_8804copy.jpg.414df8e5e355eb467d3cb6be3a2b3410.jpg1044244686_IMG_8806copy.jpg.915639593901b783f488a7f80f9dbeee.jpg

I kind of think I should have went with the stacking version. I bought the nesting ones because I figured the ones not in use (for future organizing) would be easier too store since they take up wayyy less space. but I've been stacking them Moore thank I realized 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, treesner said:

I kind of think I should have went with the stacking version. I bought the nesting ones because I figured the ones not in use (for future organizing) would be easier too store since they take up wayyy less space. but I've been stacking them Moore thank I realized 

I agree with @BillyJack that stacking is a real PITA. That said I do like to literally be able to see each individual container (vs digging) so I am willing to sacrifice room to make that happen.

I use to spend a lot of time looking for one of these cabinets on Craigslist. Like trying to find a used Domino....

What I haven't seen on any woodworking forum. Because I had materials everywhere at the furniture company I had considered flip type bins for under the clamp cabinet. You can buy these in clear plastic but I had considered making them as once you have the pattern you can make them at random..

user323_pic12377_1519048835.jpg