Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 arbor lock not working

Embarrassed Newbie

I've had my Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 for a couple years with no troubles.  All of a sudden, my arbor lock would not work anymore.  It would only move about a 1/4 inch and would not lock the blade.  This made it impossible to remove the blade as the blade was really wedged on.  I originally thought the plate had been damaged and this was why the blade would not lock.  I dissembled the saw and eventually removed the blade.  Now that I can see the arbor lock plate, it does not seem damaged.  I can see it is hitting a "wall" on the right hand side of the picture.  You can see in the photo, that when I depress the red tab, it can only move about 1/4 inch before hitting this wall that blocks the plate from rotating further.  I can not figure out how it ever could have worked.  It does not seem loose.  I believe the red tab should be able to be depressed further so the plate rotates and the slot moves farther towards the screw to the right of the red tab.  This would lock the arbor from turning and locking the blade in place so it can be loosened.   What am I missing here?  Thanks for any help anyone can offer. 

2xowu0mHT4iyoYYQOSGw+w.jpg

oBebxc0gQuW3HYnoXiIZMw.jpg

It appears that the Phillips head screw above the arbor not only allows the lock to rotate but also holds the black plate behind it. Try loosening the screw and see if you can move the black plate in a counterclockwise direction. I may be completely wrong? 

After commenting I looked this up and it’s not a circ saw as I thought. Based on experience with my non SKILSAW table saw, I suspect a build up of sawdust preventing the locking mechanism from working. Try compressed air to completely remove all debris, inside and out. 

• Like 1