Noise levels in my workshop

derekcohen

I have added a Powered Tools and Machinery section to my website.

In this section I plan to add articles about the power tools and machines that I use in my workshop, with the modifications I have made over the years, along with the techniques which I hope others will find helpful in using them to dimension and create joinery.

The first article is just a baseline for the level of noise for the machines and power tools I have.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered%20Tools%20and%20Machinery/NoiseLevelsInMyWorkshop.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

Good insight. If I remember I will try to download it and see the noise level of my lunchbox planer. I'm sure it's through the roof.

I'm glad I stumbled on Marc's video on workshop safety early in my journey. Once I bought earmuffs I realized I could work longer and be less fatigued at the end of the workshop session. 

I do listen to music with them but only actually listen listen to it while sanding.

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Baseline for my shop is "too stinkin' loud". Nothing I have, with a motor, is comfortable to operate without hearing protection.

My loudest tool is my DC which is on with every tool so ear muffs are always on in my shop.;)

• Like 2

I guess I never took to hearing protection.  Only thing that every took me by surprise was an old planer back I the 80's. That planer rattled my teeth...the owner back then bought quality and demanded performance. I bet he was taking off quit a bit to prove that planer...

Now the dust collector in the shop irritates me, but it's the humming so I never leave it running...

33 minutes ago, Mark J said:

What DC are you running that's so quiet, or is it installed outside tour shop?

This is a generic Taiwan-made DC that I have had for about 12 years. Really nothing special: basic 2 h.p. model similar to the infamous HF model. The only modification is a 1micron pleated filter cannister. It stands against one wall, out in the open.

I mentioned that is was horribly noisy with 4" hose, but dropped about 15dB when I moved up to 5". 

Regards from Perth

Derek