Dewalt Jointer Stand Mods

rainjer

I recently bought the DeWalt DW735X with a stand at Rockler. Because I work in a small space all of my tools need to be portable and as compact as possible because space is a premium. The stand in my opinion is wasted valuable space. I have decided to make a few modifications to make it work better. 

The first thing I was planning was putting a chip recovery box in the stand.  The box would be vented on top with a filter.

The other thing I planning on doing was adding folding extension wings that are 26"-27" long. The feed tables on the wings would be adjustable so they can be leveled as needed. I would leave the stock wings on the machine so i can run smaller pieces without putting the bigger extension wings up.  Now I just need to order the hardware and go pickup some wood.  

126952347_3935301573160063_2259604611960716757_o.jpg

50797-01-1000.jpg

box1.JPG

• Like 2

That sounds like a neat idea. Although be forewarned, that machine can spit out some chips at a pretty good velocity. I use a fold and stitched twin size sheet connected via hose to mine and when the machine is turned on, the sheet looks like a blimp. Let us know how this works for you. 

A couple of thoughts that may not be big issues:

Based on what I've read in previous posts on planers I think your box is going to fill up quickly, perhaps needing to be serviced during a planing session.  

Is the box going to be removable for emptying?  Because I think the shelf it is replacing is structural.  

Where is the exhaust air going to go?  There is a vent on the collection box top, but it doesn't look like there's much clearance with the table top for air to move.  You do show a filter at the box vent, but there's a limit on how much you can restrict air flow so I doubt HEPA is an option. I think you'll want to wear a dust mask when working.  

I have a couple of these mobile stands - one for a DeWalt planer and one for a small bandsaw (height works out just right for me).  One potential drawback of adding the box is that it will force you to mount the pivot wheel outboard of the stand, as shown in your second picture.  I found that to be a tripping hazard and remounted mine in the inboard position. Inboard is a little less convenient to operate, but I don't crack my ankle on the mechanism anymore.  It also limits the footprint of the stand to just the dimensions of the frame.

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

A couple of thoughts that may not be big issues:

Based on what I've read in previous posts on planers I think your box is going to fill up quickly, perhaps needing to be serviced during a planing session.  

Is the box going to be removable for emptying?  Because I think the shelf it is replacing is structural.  

Where is the exhaust air going to go?  There is a vent on the collection box top, but it doesn't look like there's much clearance with the table top for air to move.  You do show a filter at the box vent, but there's a limit on how much you can restrict air flow so I doubt HEPA is an option. I think you'll want to wear a dust mask when working.  

@Mark J - I am aware it may fill up and I may need to empty it often. I don't have a large dust collector. I have a bag for it but the box is actually bigger than the bag.  The box is removeable. The shelf is not structural. As for the exhaust, there is 6-1/2"-7" of air space above and 3-1/2" in width over the entire length on both sides. 

123.JPG

• Like 1

How and "why" are you going to dump the chips into the box below??? The 735 throws chips at the very least 16', and you're going to direct those hard,fast moving chips about 2', that seems just a little on the crazy side to me.  Get @Coop to show you his solution, it works well and is easier to clean up. Or you could always use my old method, blow the chips into the back of a pickup truck and mulch the country roads as you drive along.  Add to that, that your box is going to be 3 or 4 times heavier than @coop's solution, and hold considerably less.

42 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Can you design it so the collection box is serviced from the side of the planer?  It will be easier to get at than having to work underneath the outfeed table.  

It looks like it may work. I am not sure my hose would reach but that can be replaced. It would have to pull out on the side with the crank handle due to the mobile base wheel.

456.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rainjer said:

@RichardA- I have a 3’ flexible semirigid 4” hose to connect the chip outlet to the box.

As for the why, I am working in a limited space. I have a bag I can use on the hose but it seem it will always be in the way and easy to trip over. 

I think I'll stay out of this thread.  Let us know how it works out for you.

• Like 1

I personally think the in feed and out feed tables are not worth the time or effort to make. You don't need long tables for a planer and all it's goign to do is create problems. Even the wings on the planer it's self are not utilized by the planer as reference surfaces. They don't have enough rigidity. I have a feeling you are goign to find that boards are going to catch the edges of your table additions. If you do a lot of small parts a bin on the opposite side that pieces fall into could be a good idea.

I'd also try a prototype of the box to check that it works before you put in the effort to make it all fit in the stand. The 735 moves a LOT of air.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I personally think the in feed and out feed tables are not worth the time or effort to make. You don't need long tables for a planer and all it's goign to do is create problems. 

I would disagree with this point. In my experience, boards that hang far over the support table are more likely to experience snipe, so long tables (or keeping upward pressure on the end of the board) are good. Long tables make feeding in/out much easier for large stock, too. Less running around to catch a falling outfeed.

23 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I would disagree with this point. In my experience, boards that hang far over the support table are more likely to experience snipe, so long tables (or keeping upward pressure on the end of the board) are good. Long tables make feeding in/out much easier for large stock, too. Less running around to catch a falling outfeed.

I guess i catch every board, boards long enough to require this support are all held by me on in feed and out feed. Boards short enough to run through the planer before i can  walk to the out feed side are short enough to stay on the standard extension wings. This is my experience and my opinion though, every shop is different.

• Like 1

I think there’s some interesting possibilities here for a small shop, lower the shelf to make more room for a bigger box, design a bag like @Coop and I use, still questions remain, will  a box handle the flow even with a filter on top? how much will it hold? more questions than answers right now but I always like ideas for a small shop like mine

58 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I think there’s some interesting possibilities here for a small shop, lower the shelf to make more room for a bigger box, design a bag like @Coop and I use, still questions remain, will  a box handle the flow even with a filter on top? how much will it hold? more questions than answers right now but I always like ideas for a small shop like mine

Dave, I think what makes me skeptical of this is that the force of the chips coming out of a 735, hitting a ridgid flex hose, and only going 2 or 3 feet, and stopping quickly, is going to cause a wearing of that flex hose, and with such a sudden stop, it's going to blow dust and possibly the box all over the place.   I could very well be wrong, in fact I hope I am.  But I know how hard and far that 735 blows chips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

@treeslayer - The dust collector bag I have s a 14X24 which is about 16 gallons. The box I going to build is about 26 gallons. I realize I will not be able to utilize all of the volume. I figure I will need to empty it around 20-22 gallons.

As for the filter air flow. Base on the research I have done and talking to people that have made similar boxes I should be ok. The DW735 move about 195 CFM thru a 4" hose. The 12X18X1 MERV 8 filter I am using will move 450 CFM if air. A MERV 8 filter is 70% efficiency for filtering particles between 3 and 10 microns in size (such as mold spores, dusting aids, and cement dust).

I hope you are correct and am eager to see your success. I don’t know how fine of dust particles your filter can contain but when I first turn on my machine, my bag looks like “Pig-Pen”  of the Peanuts character. And I have no idea of the tread count of the sheet, not that it is of importance. Due to the noise and dust, I only plane on a rainless day. My planer at the inside edge of my shop overhead door and the bag 6’ out on my driveway.