Using tape to make a router bit guide bearing larger

elpansonloco

Hello folks, I need to enlarge a aluminum wheel rim bore by 1/8" so I'm using a rabbeting bit to make the bore (hole) larger and I ordered a bearing kit online but its smallest size will be 1/8 which will make my hole 1/4 larger as opposed to the needed 1/8.

So, in my mind I can just add some tape or heat shrink tubing to the bearing get that 1/16 I need?

Okay, WTH are you doing boring rims with a router?: I picked up a great set of rims with almost new tires for my truck at a local Pick and Pull for cheap, same model truck but my truck has a protruding center hub about 3/8" sticking out and 1/8" too wide to fit my new'ish rims, hole pattern is the same though. So instead of scrapping rims I've seen online where they enlarge the hole making the rims fit. I wont have to make the hole that much larger though. 

Thanks for your feedback. ps, it was $10 for a 1/2" rabbet bit with 6 bearings, so at least I will have that.

First, can you get by with the 1/4" enlargement?

If not, I would not try to enlarge the bearing by wrapping it with tape. It might work, but chances are great that the tape would peel and ruin the cut. Better to form a metal sleeve for the bearing, if you can. Best to get a bearing of the proper size, though.

Wheels rely on an exact fit between the hub & the hole in the wheel for a full strength connection between the two. The lug nuts don't do the whole job. I think tape will either peel off or compress some, which will give sloppy results. Getting a layer of tape the exact thickness will be a challenge as well. Remember, any error in tape thickness will be doubled in the final diameter of the hole.

Do it right & take the wheels to a machine shop & have them bore out the centers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drzaius said:

Wheels rely on an exact fit between the hub & the hole in the wheel for a full strength connection between the two. The lug nuts don't do the whole job. I think tape will either peel off or compress some, which will give sloppy results. Getting a layer of tape the exact thickness will be a challenge as well. Remember, any error in tape thickness will be doubled in the final diameter of the hole.

Do it right & take the wheels to a machine shop & have them bore out the centers.

This is what the practical smart person would do and there is room for debate whether a hub carries the weight of a wheel because they also make hub centric rings, plastic, to center the wheels on the hub and one machine shop I just called told me if the studs are tapered then the studs hold the load and if they are flat then the hub holds the load. Anyhow, he quoted me $250 for all 4, way more than I paid for the tires.

I think I will go with my plan and if I screw it up just chuck the rims and use the tires. Thanks for your feedback. 

• 1 year later...

Hi guys!

I would have the same problem.. I've got a 19mm diameter straight router bit with a 19mm 635 bearing. I need to make 2mm rabbet for binding a guitar body. I would need a 15mm diameter bearing.. But the problem is it doesn't exist.. The only 2 options are 14mm 605 bearing or 16mm 625 bearing. Could I use 14mm bearing and tape it to get 15mm outer diameter? What tape is the best? Thanks!!

@Ovi, welcome to the conversation! I have my doubts that a layer of tape is a good way to "expand" the bearing. But if you want to experiment, I would suggest metal foil tape, such as that used for certain types of HVAC ductt work. It seems least likely to compress as force is applied. Since the outer race of the bearing should only roll at the speed you push the router, I doubt peeling will be an issue, if the tape is applied very carefully.