Chet, the panels come in 3/4” and 1” thicknesses. Quality ply is not easily available in Oz, and I have used these panels for jigs as it is cheap and stable. I have used the 1” thick panel as a bench top (on a small additional bench). It certainly could be used for shelving. I know some woodworkers who have doubled it as the top for a full-on workbench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

Derek, I see very little burn from the blade and I understand that jarrah is pretty hard. What blade are you using? I bet it’s also due to the fact that you are not pausing the cut due to the slider? 

Coop, the saw blade in use is a Stark 305mm (12") combination blade. I also have a dedicated rip and crosscut in Leuco blades. These are not terribly expensive blades ... a little above average in cost.

There should be NO burning. 

The quality of cut could be put down to 40% blade and 60% slider/parallel guide. The slider keeps the work piece from moving. even a little, and the result is as flat as off a jointer. This is a glue line rip, as demonstrated above. Another way to do this, on a conventional cabinet saw, is to use the JessEm guides, which force the workpiece to hug the fence.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

The plate is a Seneca Domiplate: https://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/domiplate-for-1-2-and-3-4-ply

This allows one to bypass the Domino’s fence and set a central cutting position for 12mm/18mm or 1/2”/3/4” thick boards. The advantage is thatbthere can be no errors creeping in from a fence that misaligns. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

You are right, quite a challenging task and I'm following along with complete confidence in your ability to pull this off. 

Thanks for sharing this build.

• Like 1

It seems so straight forward: build the case, insert drawer frames and dividers, and build the drawers.

Each step actually requires planning ahead. The devil lies is in the details. These are some of the details we take for granted ...

Step one is to plane the fronts of the rails and dividers, and fill in any chips with tinted epoxy.

Even gluing up requires a strategy when the case includes blind sliding dovetails: glue these first.

The benefit of liquid hide glue is extended open time and repairability. I hope that I do not have to make any repairs, but I could do with the open time as it is 40° Celsius today (that's 104° Fahrenheit). I like a small spatula for placing glue where it needs to go.

Glue1.jpg

Glue the first set of blind sliding dovetails, and then the other set ...

glue2.jpg

Finally glue in the other dividers ...

Glue3.jpg

Lastly, add the drawer guides. These are just glued in. The spring clamps centre them.

Glue4.jpg

Once all this is dry, we start to prepare the drawer cases. Each one of these needs to be square at the sides and parallel all the way through.

The planes I find helpful are these: a rebate jack, a rebate block plane, and a low shoulder plane ...

Tune1.jpg

For each drawer case there is a drawer-sized insert, generally of MDF or ply. A couple of cross lines aids in determining whether the drawer will be square to the sides.

The "drawer" here does not enter more than an inch or so ...

Tune2.jpg

A straight edge along the side reveals that there is a bow ...

Tune3.jpg

The block plane takes this down ..

Tune4.jpg

... tested with the insert. Looking better ...

Tune5.jpg

A little more planing ... and the insert moves tightly, but smoothly all the way back-and-forth ...

Tune6.jpg

Every drawer case is dealt with this way ...

Square edge ..

Tune7.jpg

Planing ..

Tune8.jpg

Square and insert ...

Tune9.jpg

Tune10.jpg

Square and parallel and square ...

Tune11.jpg

Every drawer case is tuned this way.

Now we are ready to make drawers http://www.woodcentral.com/webbbs/smileys/smile.gif

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 123 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Williams1972
    Newest Member
    Williams1972