Helpless

Helpless

I have a Colonial Cushman classic cherry dining room table about 50 yrs old.  I have stripped and sanded to bare wood multiple times.  I have never done this before.  That's why I'm saying MULTIPLE times.  (I want my table back in the house.) Here are my issues:.  I have nothing to experiment on but the table.  That isn't working out so well.   When I put water or mineral oil on it, it turns very yellow.  I tried staining it with General Finishes light brown water based stain and it turned very orange. I used GF pre stain conditioner before staining.   I've now done more homework about cherry and am hearing/reading I should be doing oil based to show the beauty of the wood.  I want that, but I also don't want a yellow table and am afraid based on my little experiment it will yellow??  Would really like the natural tones to come out.  Looking at GF seal a coat.  Read about danish oil. Open to all suggestions.  And I can't figure out how to add photos to this??

• 4 weeks later...

There are many ways to finish cherry. When dealing with a dining room table, you have to consider whether you want a very durable surface finish that will resist stains and solvents (like polyurethane) or something that will require renewal when it gets damaged (oil based). Oils can be a bit challenging with cherry in some cases as there can be blotching. Also consider the fact that the cherry will change color over time if it sees sunlight - generally getting darker. In my personal opinion (take that for what it is worth), I don't favor staining cherry. It's a beautiful wood that develops a lovely darkened patina over time. You state that you are looking for a more natural finish so staining seems the wrong way to go unless you are trying to get an artificially dark color or your wood is severely blotchy. 

If you are looking for a super easy way to get a nice looking color, one option is to use something like Odie's oil. I suggest this because it is such a simple one step process and you have been struggling. I've attached an example of a bed and nightstand finished with a single coat of buffed Odie's from cherry and it has held up beautifully. Of course a dining table top takes more abuse but this isn't a bad way to go and it is an order of magnitude easier and more foolproof. than the options you have been trying. 

Best of luck.

IMG_0176.jpg

Based on the colors you describe, I would question if the wood is actually cherry. In my experience, freshly cut or sanded cherry has a salmon-pink color, and mellows to reddish-brown when oil-based finish is applied. The yellow you described sounds more like maple than cherry. One thing I have learned is almost certainly true - the names applied to factory built furniture pieces more often describe the color of the finish than the actual wood the piece is built from.

If it turns out my guess is correct, you can better return to a "cherry" color by using a tinted clear coat, or a gel stain, IMO. 

• Like 2

Here's a suggestion.  Buy a can of Watco Danish oil with a Cherry tint already mixed in.  On the underside of the table top, sand a spot about 8" x 8", to the final sanding you've done on the upper side.  Shake the danish oil til it's throughly mixed. Then with a clean rag, apply "one" coat of the cherry danish oil.  It will be quite red. That's okay. Let it sit upside down for about 5 days, near a sunny window.  Direct sunlight is best.  It'll darken some,      It's not a stain, it's a tint, and the oil needs 5 or 6 days to surface harden, before you can apply a film finish, like polyurethane.   It'll show off the wood, give a slight aged color, and will darken over time.   If that suits you, then you can refinish the entire top the same way.   Here's two examples of the finish done that way. A coffee table with a floating top and a buffet table.

DSC02903.JPG

DSC02901.JPG

DSC01259.JPG

DSC01175 (800x600).jpg

• Like 2