Seriously???

pkinneb

7 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Yeah, but the fence isn't being used to cut a piece to a particular length.   So there's really no need for the fence.

All it seems to be doing is cutting it at an angle.   I'm just totally confused.

It is braced against the fence. The offcut rides outside the fence. It is not the angle vs square that I mean. It it the fence vs the slot with an unbound offcut. Just clarifying. Still don’t like the look of it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Yeah, but the fence isn't being used to cut a piece to a particular length.   So there's really no need for the fence.

All it seems to be doing is cutting it at an angle.   I'm just totally confused.

How many times do you use the table saw freehand?  Without the fence, and/or use of the mitre slot, you are cutting freehand, there are not many people that are good enough to freehand on a tablesaw.  Kickback is coming.

I once cut 10,000 lineal feet of 1x Cypress 10' boards without a fence.  I was ripping the sapwood off, to make shingles out of the heartwood.  I had a helper finish the last 2' of each cut by holding the board well past the outfeed end of the board, while I stepped aside.  We were using a direct drive, screamer table saw that I could stop by holding the board, if a board bound up, which only happened a couple of times.  I've never used any table saw with any kind of safety device, for over 50 years.  I still have all my fingers, and no finger has ever been close to being in danger.

I would never make one cut as shown in that first picture.  Please don't buy one of these things, and make any such cut.

• Like 1

This is very similar to a tapering jig except for hand placement. Some of these comment prove they are being made without clicking on the link and seeing all of the pieces and how they are connected. I am NOT saying this is a good jig, but it IS using two hand to press into the fence, using the fence for alignment. 

Router & Table Saw Small Workpiece Holder

I'm no expert and, I wouldn't buy or use this thing-a-majig but, I think the there must be a miter slot runner under the brass pin on the do-hicky. The guide bar that registers against the fence when you tighten the locking pin on the clamp it must also lock down the miter slot runner. I think that would make the whole contraption a little less bat sh_t crazy, I hope I didn't get to :ph34r: But I agree with the general consensus this thing-a-ma-bob is a POS

From the wider angle photo that was posted it looks like the yellow holder attaches to a large flat and vertcal piece of aluminum, which in turn slides along the fence.  

This may (or may not) explain the mechanism, but no matter what this ain't no Incra, or any other sled or miter guage for that matter.  If you need an accurate cut to a line this will be harder to set up, and it doesn't look like cuts would be easily repeatable.

4 hours ago, Immortan D said:

If you have a DIY table saw without miter slots, you may want that contraption.

If your miter slots are not parallel to your saw blade and you do not know how to fix that, ditto.

Nope. In either of those cases, I'd want a new table saw!  :o

In reference to @Dave H's comment, there is no engagement with the miter slot, only the piece of aluminum angle that rides against the fence. In principle, this does indeed work like many tapering jigs, but with one important exception - it is only about a foot long. To me, this is far too short to maintain stability. Functionally equivalent to cross-cutting a board by running the end against the rip fence instead of pushing it with a miter gage.

For use at the router table though, it looks like a pretty handy fixture.

I find it baffling that it is sold by a fairly reputable company. Infinity tools is not a no-name backwoods woodworking company.

5 minutes ago, Dave H said:

@wtnhighlander It sounds like you have some information on this product? Do you have a link I would love to see the advertising and or, instructions, possibly a video of someone using this contraption?

There was a link shared in an eralier posrt. https://www.infinitytools.com/small-workpiece-holder?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wed 12%2F9&utm_content=&_rmId=ZobNddwOZ8fqQpAngbdWIMK9po27PvFWDM0qd85WI0Bp1

Or the name of the manufacturer! I am just curious I think we are missing some information. If this contraption slides along the fence and the black push handle is over the work piece nothing would prevent this thing from pivoting away from the fence, as the laws of physics I would assume almost demand that it would pivot away from fence!

2 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Thanks @Chestnut I didn't see the other Handle next to the fence..... never mind I'm RRRRRRRwrong:wub:

I don't really know that it makes it that much better. If the work piece catches that rear handle will just act as the picot point pulling the front grip towards the blade. There is a reason miter gauges reference the miter slot.

Now for the router table applications I don't see this as being a bad product BUT there are a lot of options there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave H said:

@wtnhighlander It sounds like you have some information on this product? Do you have a link I would love to see the advertising and or, instructions, possibly a video of someone using this contraption?

No, just the info from the website. Several photos from different angles show there is nothing extending below the colored clamp body, that could engage the miter slot.

Unless there is a removable part that isn't mentioned anywhere on the page.

12 hours ago, Tom King said:

I once cut 10,000 lineal feet of 1x Cypress 10' boards without a fence.  I was ripping the sapwood off, to make shingles out of the heartwood.  I had a helper finish the last 2' of each cut by holding the board well past the outfeed end of the board, while I stepped aside.  We were using a direct drive, screamer table saw that I could stop by holding the board, if a board bound up, which only happened a couple of times.  I've never used any table saw with any kind of safety device, for over 50 years.  I still have all my fingers, and no finger has ever been close to being in danger..

I’ve had two framers at my house for a week and both of their circ saws have the guard disabled. 

On 12/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, Chestnut said:

I find it baffling that it is sold by a fairly reputable company. Infinity tools is not a no-name backwoods woodworking company.

There was a link shared in an eralier posrt. https://www.infinitytools.com/small-workpiece-holder?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wed 12%2F9&utm_content=&_rmId=ZobNddwOZ8fqQpAngbdWIMK9po27PvFWDM0qd85WI0Bp1

Accidentally came across it on Eagle America's website as well...

https://www.eagleamerica.com/product/420-1010/router_tables_-_table_top_accessories