Laguna PFlux dust extractor

namluke

Hi

I recently set up my Laguna cyclone dust extractor https://www.lagunatools.uk/laguna-products/dust-extractors/p-flux-3 it seems to be working well apart from large chippings are going into the the fine dust collection section.

Any ideas why this would be happening, i thought only fine dust was meant to go in this part?

Many Thanks

Luke

The stubbier cyclones don't separate as well as taller ones, which may be part of the issue. Another thing is to keep the air velocity high. If using a machine with a small port, opening another blast gate to allow more air to flow will help with separation. Check for leakage below the cyclone. That will allow more spoil to get sucked up into the filter.

• Like 1

@namluke, in addition to the above I suggest discussing with Customer Service.  

When I put my unit together there was a flat bar included in the box, but not mentioned in the instructions.  This is installed accross the bottom opening of the cone.  It creates a little turbulence that helps some "bits" fall out.  

After watching Mat's videos, I noticed that he has an elbow right at the cyclone inlet. That will also cause poor separation because of the added turbulence. There should be a few feet of straight duct leading into the cyclone inlet. He also put a reducer on, which will cut down on airflow. For a guy who did such a great job building that monster band saw, I'm surprised at how badly he crapped the bed on his DC setup.

37 minutes ago, drzaius said:

After watching Mat's videos, I noticed that he has an elbow right at the cyclone inlet. That will also cause poor separation because of the added turbulence. There should be a few feet of straight duct leading into the cyclone inlet. He also put a reducer on, which will cut down on airflow. For a guy who did such a great job building that monster band saw, I'm surprised at how badly he crapped the bed on his DC setup.

Some of the decisions he made was because he was space constrained, but agree they were poor choices.  As he is setting up his new shop, it appears he is going to a Clearvue.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

To be fair a lot of what he set up was 10 years old and even thought he may have learned it was probably too much work with minimal reward. 

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

To be fair a lot of what he set up was 10 years old and even thought he may have learned it was probably too much work with minimal reward. 

He really had a "ten pounds of...stuff in a five pound bag" kind of approach to his last shop. It was a daylight basement packed to the gills with tools. My recollection is that he'd have had to completely redo his shop layout to get a better DC run and that wasn't sufficiently important to him to warrant the effort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VizslaDad said:

He really had a "ten pounds of...stuff in a five pound bag" kind of approach to his last shop. It was a daylight basement packed to the gills with tools. My recollection is that he'd have had to completely redo his shop layout to get a better DC run and that wasn't sufficiently important to him to warrant the effort. 

Having been in his shop in person his video's make it look at least 50% larger than it really is.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Having been in his shop in person his video's make it look at least 50% larger than it really is.

That's pretty remarkable. One of his latest videos showing his old tool layout in his new space (went from 2 car garage-ish space to three car garage) showed how much more room for activities he has now!

8 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

Some of the decisions he made was because he was space constrained, but agree they were poor choices.  As he is setting up his new shop, it appears he is going to a Clearvue.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to know the crowded state of his shop. Makes perfect sense to do what he did in the circumstances.

• Like 1

It seems to be to do with the air flow, as soon as i take off the 3 x dust ports the bag inside the container gets sucked to the walls of the bins, even with all 3 ports open this does not work. 

So I'm guessing like drzaius i need to few feet of 6 or even 8 inch ducting that drop down to 4 inch as late as possible, this isn't going to work with my current setup.

For now i have made an insert to put inside the bag to keep it to the sides which seems to be doing the job.

I wish i had known this before hand though, as it could have been a gamechanger.

I actually tempted to drill more holes in the 3 x port adapter to allow more air in, not sure if i should though.