mortise and tenon joints

rherald1951

It is a bit wasteful of material, but I often cut the rail stock to the full width of the the door panel. Then use the stiles aligned across each end to mark the tenon shoulders. Next, lay out and excavate the mortises, gauging against the rail width to avoid over-sizing them. Once the mortice is dug out to a reasonable-looking depth, use a marking gauge to capture that depth and transfer it to the tenon, outward from the shoulder. Then saw off the extra, your rails should be a nice fit, no math required.

Right above about no dumb question and both are excellent answers. I might add that it is wise to cut the mortise first and then the tenon and use a scrap piece the same thickness as your door to size the tenon, sneaking up on it until you have a snug fit, then cut the real deal. 

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it comes out. 

I usually leave the board long some arbitrary amount. Then take the measurements on the shoulder to shoulder distance and use marks there to set the length between shoulders. I trim the tenons as needed based on the mortise depth.

If this is for cabinet doors i make every dimension a hair large and then trim the door to size after it's glued together.

• Like 2