Furniture Casters for carpet

Valleyslim

My wife wants me to build a cricut cart for her craftroom. She wants it to mobile and our room is carpeted. I tried looking online and only hits I got were office chair post. I can't imagine the cart having more than 30 lbs on it. Any recommendations or just get any caster? Cart will be about 30 inches tall by 15 deep by 32.25 wide

The typical office chair casters definitely perform more poorly on carpet than hard surfaces.  I think increased diameter is your friend here especially with thick carpet pads.  Somewhere I've seen a caster intended for carpet, but if nothing like that pops up I would personally look at 2 1/2" or 3" casters.  You could buy a couple of casters in different sizes and try them on your carpet.  Put your weight on them and see how they roll.  

The other option would be to just affix some of those plastic sliders to the bottom of the legs. I put those under all of our furniture in our carpeted rooms when we first moved in and were figuring out layout. Even our heaviest furniture slid almost rather easily on those. 

• Like 1

We've had those plastic, enclosed type casters on some things before.  Pam just recently bought a new seat for her grooming table, and we decided to never get anything with that type of caster again.  The new seat she got has "skate wheel" type casters.  Not only do they roll easier, but can be taken apart and cleaned to keep rolling.

https://www.amazon.com/wheels-replacement-casters-hardwood-duty/dp/B01G643EU6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=skate+wheel+caster&qid=1611504193&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ1kyQzJVT1NYQllKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzIwMjQzMzE1QjQxUjZPT01HTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDU5OTYzM09JRlVFNUY2UDBXQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I ended up getting those plastic twin wheeled casters but of course the boss changed her mind and has since upgraded her idea from a small cart to a 80x49 inch island. I've already built and face framed the base getting ready for paint and about to use my graco x5 for the first time. Just need to build the top. Will be doing a beach theme like my daughters desk

20201207_191511.jpg

• Like 2