Cross cut with L-fence and no miter gauge

jussi

I'm in the middle of watching the Morley lounge chair project.  He uses a technique that I've never seen before and was curious if any of you have and whether you think it's safe.  He is cutting the pieces to final dimension using a template.  But instead of completely using a router he cuts the straight portions using an L-fence on a table saw.  It seemed like a cool technique that I couldn't wait to try.  But when he used it to make crosscut (one time with no miter gauge) it made my spidey sense tingle.  Now this guy knows waaay more about ww so far it be it from me to question the man's technique but just based on my limited ww past it made me pause for sure.  Now to be fair he said you can use a miter gauge if you're not comfortable and the piece he is cutting is very small (most if not all will probably be eaten up by the blade since it's not much more than the blade kerf).  But you're still applying lateral (some at least) towards the blade.  Anyway curious to your thoughts.  Can't wait to start the project.  Hopefully my helical heads won't take too long to arrive. 

I don't mean to offend anyone but if it seems unsafe do what you think is wise. I wouldn't claim that the makers or content creators that are producing content are experts on safety, they are probably doing what needs to be done to complete the project. They may take more risk than the average person due to their comfort level with the tools. There have been a few recent injuries from content creators that were by no means inexperienced. I don't have this project so I don't really know much about the technique you are talking about though.

• Like 1

Cross cut with a template, or with the work against the L-fence directly?   If using a template, the off-cut should fall away from the blade with clearance to avoid binding. The 'save' piece might risk twisting into the back of the blade, I suppose. If he's not using a template, then the L is the same as a regular fence.

I don't see an issue doing what he is showing as @Chetsaid you are cutting very little off. I almost think using the miter gauge could get you into more trouble but as @Chestnuteluded to, if you feel uncomfortable with an operation you probably shouldn't be doing it.

BTW @jussithanks for the heads up I didn't realize those videos were up :)