Need a Recommendation for a Better Rotary Power Tool

Hammer5573

I do a lot of inlay work with my projects using various Dremel rotary tools attached to a Veritas base. I've become very frustrated with the Dremel products. I dropped two of them on the floor and they never worked again. Also once I tighten the chucks enough to keep the bits from coming loose, the locking button/mechanism won't let me remove the bit to change it. Has anyone else had similar issues; can you recommend a better product....?

Foredom and Master Carver make flex shaft rotary tools that are more robust than Dremel, but fill the same nitch. They have the further advantage of being reversible. 

If you're doing inlay you might benefit from a faster shaft speed such as you get with the Micromotor (also from Master Carver).  But that's for fine work.  

Edited by Mark J
Corrected spelling.

It sounds like you want a trim router with a plunge base.  Makita makes a 1-1/4 hp router that you can get with a plunge base.  You'll need a collet adapter to go from the 1/4" collet to the 1/8" of a Dremel.  Wouldn't really recommend dropping it on the floor though.

If you can get by without a plunge base, I might go for a cordless router of whatever brand from your other cordless tools.

I have a Foredom and not really a fan of it.  A Dremel is easier to maneuver for light work and it's too easy to break the flex shaft for heavier work.  Though I have dropped the handpiece on the concrete many times and there just isn't anything in there to break.  That's just not the weak link.

Harbor Freight sells a Fordham knock-off that is quite a bit less money. At least one person I know of upgraded to a Fordham, but went back the the HF unit, claiming it was more rugged and reliable.

I don't think the flex-shaft carvers are designed to work in a base, but might be adapted. A pneumatic die grinder is another great option for such work, but only if you have the air supply to support it.

• Like 1

I burn up Dremels. I always keep the box, expecting to have to return it soon.

I bought a cordless one to try in a little router base.  The bearings sounded terrible, and there was a vibration.  I had saved the box, and packing, and intended to carry it back to Lowes.  In the meantime, I ordered a 12v Milwaukee cordless.  The Milwaukee wasn't as good as I had hoped, but quite usable.  I decided to try the cordless Dremel, on more time, since I hadn't put it back in the box yet, and it had smoothed out to the point that it is smoother than the Milwaukee.  I've been using that Dremel for several small jobs, and it's still in the base.

I wish someone made a good one too, without having to go to micro-motor, for no more than I use one.

I have a couple of those small Makita routers, and they're not as handy for tiny stuff, as the Dremel types.

Adam savage of Mythbusters fame recommends the Praxxon rotary tool I personally have not used this tool. He talks in length about the Praxxon tool around 7:42 of the video

Here's the link to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017PWTX8/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=testedcom-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0017PWTX8&linkId=50aea09b61669e8de5d2ac6b9f3d62f4

15 hours ago, Dave H said:

Adam savage of Mythbusters fame recommends the Praxxon rotary tool I personally have not used this tool. He talks in length about the Praxxon tool around 7:42 of the video

I wonder if the locking mechanism for the chuck is more robust than the one on the Dremel......?