Sometimes I think I'm a woodworker, then...

When you build furniture for others it's a paying job. No need to cut corners. Sometimes you may not like the job and sometimes the time just flies as your having fun. 

There are days you enjoy your job and others you dont. Sometimes the deadlines takes the fun out of it. Sometimes you just want to work in your own shop doing things at your own pace...

I'm glad your brother is still in the game. I think I'm finally out of it...

Wow, that's impressive. I can't imagine working at that scale. I always seem to place things exactly in the way of what I need, moving 8,500 of anything sounds painful.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Wow, that's impressive. I can't imagine working at that scale. I always seem to place things exactly in the way of what I need, moving 8,500 of anything sounds painful.

He excels at jigging up for repeated tasks. He started a company some years ago called koostik making fine wooden acoustic amplifiers for iPhones. Sold a gazillion of them. They were in Restoration Hardware, Rockler (in kit form) and others, but mainly sold direct. I went up to Denver to visit and went by his shop. He had hundreds of the things stacked up ready to ship, all made with tools most of us have in our shops and simple jigs.

• Like 2

Thanks Mick. This is interesting. With your work being excellent yet your brother is better. do you have other siblings that do crafts or art? Was there something in the water? Were your parents influences to you 2 in regards to woodworking? Or other family members?  Thanks

1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

Was there something in the water? Were your parents influences to you 2 in regards to woodworking? Or other family members?

One of our sisters is a good artist, as is Jim.  That gene stopped there. I'm the youngest.

Jim & I are at least 4th generation woodworkers, either pro or hobbyist. Our dad was a hobbyist, as was his dad, and we caught the bug from him. Our great-grandad was a carpenter. I have his Stanley 45.

• Like 2

Thank you Mick. What a great legacy. 

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

Jim & I are at least 4th generation woodworkers,

You cant learn that or buy that. I would guess to keep the generations rolling, it must be important to bring the young ones along. Probably a teaching gene in there. Remarkable. Thanks for sharing.

From reading his bio, Jim sounds like a fine upstanding man and I’m sure you are proud. The bio’s of the other two gentleman are impressive as well. Thanks for sharing.