Flexible caulk/adhesive

Steve, @wdwerkertalked about a flexible caulk/adhesive he used in some applications.  It allows for wood movement.  I thought I had the name written down, but now I can't find my notes.  I did a search, but since I don't know the name that didn't help.  This ring a bell with anyone?

Franklin titebond 3. I spoke to an engineer at Franklin and he said it "creeps".  He said that the glue would not be aloud for engineered beams or trusses. No creep is required for that. Glue that creeps is an advantage for the woodworker. I think other offerings besides tb 3 will creep.

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

Lexel is great stuff, but I don't know how well it works as an adhesive. Even in the open, as a caulk, it takes a loooong time to dry/cure.

On the scale of synthetic rubbers...not really any more than epoxy. I frequently bond PVC to stone with it. No issues. That said, no wood to wood for me...unless sealing two separate items to keep water from between them. 

3 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Franklin titebond 3. I spoke to an engineer at Franklin and he said it "creeps".  He said that the glue would not be aloud for engineered beams or trusses. No creep is required for that. Glue that creeps is an advantage for the woodworker. I think other offerings besides tb 3 will creep.

If "creeps" means allows movement, that is what I am counting on.  I am insetting an end grain chess board, and will be a small dab of Lexel on each side to allow the board to expand and contract. 

• Like 1

I work with kiln dried wood. That matters in this situation. I frequently make bread board ends on tops. Like desks or tables. I use dominoes and lots of titebond. The wood moves and I can feel by how much on the end of the bread board joint. Never a problem.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If "creeps" means allows movement, that is what I am counting on.  I am insetting an end grain chess board, and will be a small dab of Lexel on each side to allow the board to expand and contract. 

Sounds like you are using similar to "space balls", it shoukd be ok for that.

16 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I suggest trying some test pieces.  Lexel is the consistency of caulk so even with clamping pressure I wonder if you'll be able to eliminate the joint space.  Also I wouldn't describe Lexel's bonding properties as legendary.  I would not be surprised if you could break the bond by twisting the two pieces.  

10 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I suggest trying some test pieces.  Lexel is the consistency of caulk so even with clamping pressure I wonder if you'll be able to eliminate the joint space.  Also I wouldn't describe Lexel's bonding properties as legendary.  I would not be surprised if you could break the bond by twisting the two pieces.  

Have you used it? The stuff will stretch quite far. I am curious what you base these comments on?

I've used it from time to time and have some in a drawer for special occasions.  It's performance is going to depend a lot on the substrates you're bonding and the stresses that bond has to resist, hence my suggestion to do some test pieces.

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

ve used it from time to time and have some in a drawer for special occasions.  It's performance is going to depend a lot on the substrates you're bonding and the stresses that bond has to resist, hence my suggestion to do some test pieces

Why bother. titebond is the preferred choice of woodworkers. And it will allow movement.