Router Lift Suggestion

Chestnut

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Mick how do you like the Micro adjust? I have been seriously considering swapping mine for this one in my table redu project

I haven't found a lift with a better one. The tradeoff is it's harder to get close with the gross adjustment before the final micro-adjust. Takes a bit of getting used to. The micro-adjust is spot on - you can really dial in to 1/1000" before locking. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

If the collet is too stubby, with the motor housing nearly touching the underside of the plate the collet will still not be adequately exposed.  Bent wrenches are a solution to this. 

I have that issue with both my PC 7518 in the Woodpeckers lift and the Bosch router in my PantoRouter. The offset wrenches from Rockler make it easy.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-offset-router-collet-wrenches

• Like 1

Hello folks, I have the Rockler Pro Lift and can verify a few things. First, you can get the Pro lift with the smaller Rockler/Bench Dog size plate or with a full size plate. I purchased the standard size but built my own table. With the standard size I can drop it in a cast iron wing or table if I ever want.

There are adapter sleeves available to fit smaller router motors. I used one of these to mount my Hitachi MV12. The sleeves are hard plastic and well made.

The quick gear is the feature that sold me. It's a time saver for bit changes and height adjustments. Yes, I can change the bits above the table with the factory wrenches.

The fine adjustment let's you dial in the exact height.

Rockler describes it as self locking. I haven't had any creep issues. The manual shows an allen screw adjustment for tension. It comes with a set of allen wrenches needed for installation and adjustments.

I bought a complete set of the snap rings because it was cheaper than buying the 3 I thought I needed.

I read somewhere who makes the lift for Rockler but can't locate it now. I believe it was either Infinity or Jessum but not sure. Whichever it was, shares the same lift mechanism in their better lifts. The difference being the Rockler two speed gearbox and the snap rings for the bit opening.

So far I'm very happy with this lift.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coop said:

So only the motor fits into the lift and not the entire fixed based router? I’m slow at catching on! :o

That’s correct Coop just the motor, I think all the big names sell just the bare motor, no base, we’re not slow, we’re pacing ourselves :P

• Haha 1

Chestnut, I think you'll be happy with the Rocker SL Router Lift.

I've had my Rockler lift for about 5 years now.   Like treeslayer I did have some problems with it being loose, but I tightened it up and it's been ok since.   It's mostly a problem if you do something where you get a lot of chatter with the bit.   I've taken to sticking a piece of masking tape down on the plate and making a mark of where 0 is, just to confirm, especially if I'm doing a lot of parts.

Mine has the plastic inserts, and I think the aluminum inserts is an improvement.  Yes they cost more, but I think that offers more precision.

• Thanks 1