Veneer on a curve

The MDF is core to a small table. I glued the veneer down with Titebond III and clamped the ends. Pulled it tight. No issues when I left it to dry. But came back two hours later to this.

Would using a hide glue been a better choice?

12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I think you would have been fine if you had used a band clamp to hold it tight. It appears the glue swelled the wood and with nothing holding it tight it pulled away from the substrate.

Clearly.

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Definitely need a clamping method that conforms to the curve. Band clamp would work in this case, but anything more complex, a clamping form, sandbags, or vacuum bag would be the way to go.

I'm considering an alternative approach. From my darkroom days there is the sheet glue that is used to mount prints to backer boards. It's really no different than the glue on the back of iron-on edge banding though it is fairly thin. My thought is two layers of it should iron in nicely. And if I go slow around the edge the veneer (holding breath) shouldn't break.