Light weight torsion box

curlyoak

I want to build a light weight torsion box. 3' x 8'. In general I like over kill. But this is for a collapsable table and weight is an issue. I'm thinking 1/4" fir for top and bottom. I'm not sure on the grid dimensions. Considering an oak outside frame and plywood for inside the grid. What dimensions should the grid be? And any alternatives to the above ideas. The goal is flat, light weight and durable. Thanks.

With 1/4" fir ply for the top I think a 6x6 grid would work well but i'd have the grid by 1/2" ply just so there is a good amount of glue surface.

If you want a bit more rigidity you could do 1/2" ply on the top and 1/4" on the bottom with a 12" ish grid in the middle. I just made a top that was 28" x 70" this way it was faily light but very stiff.

• Like 1

I think it would take a lot of force to flex a 1/4" skin over 12x12 grid squares. With a hardwood rim, the gridwork could be 1/8" masonite, corrugated cardboard, or even foam board, and still be quite strong, if the correct adhesive is used. Or just make an 'ice cream sandwhich' from layers of styrofoam sheeting and plywood skin. Structural wall panels are sometimes made like that.

• Like 1

I'd go at least 2" for the width of the members possibly 2.5".

this is going to depend on the base that you are setting it on. I did a rough calc for sag assuming a 48" span aka 2 saw horses 48" apart with a center load of 150 lbs.

If you are more evenly supporting the top or think you can get away with less weight capacity you could shrink that down to 1.5" but i wouldn't go any smaller than that personally.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd go at least 2" for the width of the members possibly 2.5"

I got lucky. Looking in my wood stash, I am trying to find the right piece with low waste. Not sure what was required I found a piece of soft maple 5 1/2" wide. After truing I ended up with 2 3/8". Turns out right in your wheel house. I milled it to 11/16" for weight considerations. I found some d. fir 1/2" bc grade and ripped it for the corrugation. My 1/2 work day is over. So tomorrow I will try to complete it. 

• Like 1