Wainscoting our nursery

Doesn't coffee, toast, potato chips basically anything with a maillard reaction carry a prop 65 warning? That warning is on everything these days. I agree with the testing comment.

I think there is little to worry about as a child's contact with the waistcoat is likely limited. Paint and drywall are likely just as harmful.

Good ol’ California.

Guess what also has a Prop 65 warning? The OB/GYN office and the hospital. When we were expecting our first in CA, we would always laugh at the Prop 65 warnings by the entrances to those buildings. 

The trouble with their Prop 65 warnings is that you can’t tell which items are actually a potential health hazard when everything has the warning on it.

• Like 2

First, universal warnings like Prop 65 are kind of useless. You know the #1 cause of death in the US?

Birth, as in being alive. Warning people that anything they taste, touch, smell, or look at funny may eventually kill them is quite redundant.

Now that the rant is over, I would suggest (as a woodworker) that some natural wood boards, tounged, grooved, and beaded, will make wonderful wainscoat. No artifical materials needed. But the practical side of me says look for a plywood wainscoat product at the upper side of what you can afford, as cost roughly follows quality, and quality is likely to mean less chance of nasty off-gassing adhesives.

• Like 2