Bathroom Remodel

Chestnut

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Cabinets look great Drew!! Interesting paint job in the bathroom :P

I was thinking the same thing about the cabinets but  Was going to say its to bad you couldn't get the painting done before having to install the cabinets for the granite guys. 

I think a lot of people are too quick at removing sapwood when in reality in can be a nice focal point in a project. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chet said:

Was going to say its to bad you couldn't get the painting done before having to install the cabinets for the granite guys. 

Megan wants to pick a color from the granite for the walls, beings that the slabs we looked at are highly variable and the sink cutouts are a significant portion we are left unsure what the exact colors are going to be. I do all the edging so I offered to wait. So i'm really only punishing myself. We are also going to do a small row of tile so that should make things a bit easier on the top side at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When you need to turn out a lot of furniture, boring grain is a blessing. Mahogany is predictable to work with, carves well in detail, is durable, and grows in big trees with lots of clear lumber. A dream for mass production. While figure is uncommon, when it occurs it can be amazing.

David Marks built this Egyptian inspired table, using a piece of 'The Tree', a famously quilted mahogany much desired by instrument makers. When I looked it up after seeing that episode, slices from 'The Tree' were selling for upwards of $1500 per board foot.

Stewart Macdonald is selling acoustic guitar panels that are supposedly from 'The Tree' for $6000.