Cabinet paint

rainjer

Looking for recommendations paint some bath room cabinet exteriors. They will be new construction cabinets made from paint grade plywood (or prefinished) and popular. I will most likely spraying them.

What paint and primer (if any) do you recommend? 

If use prefinished plywood, would I need to do anything besides scuff the surface prior to painting?

It is flat, so a clear coat is necessary if you want any sheen at all, but General Finishes 'Milk Paint' really impressed me. Actually a mineral acrylic, it dries fast and cures hard, yet levels quite well. Cleans with water. No smell. I like it better than pretty much any latex-based paint I've ever used.

Ross, I am building my wife an armoire and she’s been watching you tube videos on milk paint, one in particular featuring pant by Annie Sloan. With her paint, they use a wipe on, wipe off wax as a sealer, top coat. Does the GF milk paint require the wax and can it be sprayed on? 

Edit. Now that I think about it, hers is called chalk paint.

• Like 1

If you are spraying them with airless, I've used both of these with great success.  I've never sprayed them another way, that required thinning.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/emerald-urethane-trim-enamel

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/proclassic-waterborne-interior-acrylic-enamel

If using Semi-Gloss, I like the way the Emerald Urethane looks, a little better.  For Satin, I'd probably use Pro Classic.

• Like 1

I just did some kitchen cabinets last fall and I used Benjamin Moore's Cabinet Coat.  I was real happy with the results.  There were parts that I used a short nap roller to apply and it levels out just as nice as spraying.  I would have no problem using it again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like Benjamin Moore Advanced.  It self levels great, and is pretty durable for cabinets.  I used it on a bench for a 'breakfast nook' that is used mainly as the kid's art table and has held up to ~3 years of abuse very well given what they put it through!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 8:48 PM, HPC said:

...I've read that the Sherwin-William's urethane trim enamel is terrific, and recently had a project for which it might be perfect, but was unable to find a local retailer with the appropriate base / sheen in stock.

I used this on my basement trim and was really impressed.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:27 AM, Tom King said:

This is a really good paint.

Our painters used this on our trim and interior doors and they look great. I had assumed they sprayed the doors because the finish was so good, but they actually brushed it on. Standing up well to our kids’ abuse, too.