Restoring a Limbert armchair

On 6/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, Chestnut said:

Can you provide a link to the Jewitt article? I have some a couple old oak pieces I'm goign to attempt to restore for my dad.

Hi, Sure, the link is https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/stickley.pdf I followed the sample #4 and it came out too red, Like the old adage says: test, test and test. I ordered other colors of the Trans Tint dyes and will use one that is more brown on my next project; restoring two L and JG Stickely side chairs. I substituted Waterlox satin finish instead of the General Finishes Arm R Seal, which is a urethane product that doesn't penetrate the wood as well as Waterlox, which is a varnish/tung oil formula. Good luck with your project.

Kevinartman

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:49 PM, wtnhighlander said:

That is a touch red, but it looks awesome!

Hi yes it is more red than the original finish most likely was. (See photo of what was left of this finish when I began). The photos of the sample colors in the Jewitt article are not exactly representative of the actual results, I should have tested more. Will try to do better on the two L an J.G. Stickley side chairs that are my next project. Thanks for your feedback.

Kevinartman

IMG_20210625_101036881_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Chet,

Beautiful job!, I am about to put a finish on two L & J.G. side chairs. I think your finish would work well for my project. I have to do more research on what they are supposed to look like. Thanks for posting, I'll post my results when I am finished.

Regards, Kevinartman

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 5:40 AM, curlyoak said:

Nice work. Which Waterlox product did you use? Thanks

Sorry I just saw your question. I used the VOC compliant satin finish waterlox. My latest project, which you can in the Finishing forum, I used shellac and Liberon Black Bison paste wax instead of the Waterlox.

Thanks for your question.

Kevinartman

• Like 1