Repair on a Stickley sewing rocker: Broken front seat rail.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:43 PM, wtnhighlander said:

One of the pics isn't showing for me. Do I interpret correctly, that you split the rail and glued it back together, capturing the dowels inside? If so, that is a very clever fix!

Yes, you are correct. Since it wasn't going to be seen and even if it was, it was the only way I solve the problem.

Thanks for your interest,

Kevinartman

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 3:34 PM, treeslayer said:

If that’s a genuine Stickley that’s a great find, nice fix !

Hey Treeslayer, My Father-in-Law is an Arts and Crafts dealer and he assures me that it is authentic. He showed me a picture from a Stickley catalog, It is design # 2627 circa 1902-03. Here is a photo of another one I found for sale online:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 9.32.13 AM.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Mark J said:

How did you do it?  Is the fit around the dowels fairly loose?  If so what did you use for adhesive?

Hi Mark J,

I made the rail from two pieces glued together. I clapped them together first, then drilled the dowel holes, separated them and glued them around the glued dowels. the fit around the dowels was a bit loose, but the glue filled in any gaps. I used Titebond III, although polyurethane glue would have been a good choice too.

Thanks for your interest,

Kevinartman