FWW / Epic Woodworking Shaker Chest of Drawers

On 7/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, mdbuilder said:

Yes, MD Select is my normal guy. I've occasionally gotten a grade B board when I come across it in the pile, depending on the size of parts you need they can be OK. Generally more knots so you are not going to get a 5 or 6 foot part out of it. Also, not sure how much B stuff he regularly stocks. You might want to call first and ask how much B grade he has for whatever species you are looking for. He is on the net: https://www.maryland-select.com/

Thanks for the insight, it was exactly what I was looking for. Not sure if I'll make it out there for this round. Too much going on to spend 2-3 extra hours in the car if I can avoid it at the moment. 

Just a curiosity question. I see on your dust partitions, the frame is proud of the panels and that you said you planed the panels from 4/4 to 1/2”. Is the reason you didn’t make the panels the same thickness as the frame due to cutting a little weight from the project. If it were me, I probably would have done the same, but only to keep from trying to make them flush. ;)

On 7/19/2021 at 10:27 PM, Coop said:

Just a curiosity question. I see on your dust partitions, the frame is proud of the panels and that you said you planed the panels from 4/4 to 1/2”. Is the reason you didn’t make the panels the same thickness as the frame due to cutting a little weight from the project. If it were me, I probably would have done the same, but only to keep from trying to make them flush. ;)

Well, the simple answer is the plan calls for a half inch so I followed what the designer called for :D.

On the other hand, your observation about weight is good. The partitions are purely cosmetic rather than structural so lighter is good. Also, you want the drawers to slide easily and touch only on the drawer sides sliding on the runners. If the partitions were full thickness the back of the drawer and bottom would  potentially make contact?

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 2:46 AM, mdbuilder said:

the plan calls for a half inch so I followed what the designer called for

Good answer.

Dust frames and panels are traditionally made like frame and panel doors, where the panel is recessed in the frame.  Originally they were used to keep dust from settling on what ever is in the drawer below.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:42 AM, mdbuilder said:

I think I will take those 2 darker boards and alternate them with the lighter boards. Opinions? 

I would probably do something like that.  Also on some shaker pieces you will see were the back panels are finished with something like white or gray milk paint.  In the end it is in an area that isn't really seen once the piece is in place.

• Thanks 1