Plane after epoxy?

Hi,  novice here.  I got a slab of wood with dark black spots I'm having trouble sanding out. I want to take it back to get planed again.  Can I epoxy the crack before the shop planes it? Crack runs almost entire length I'm concerned about transport plus I figured less sanding/ clean up work needed after epoxy.  TIA 

That looks like a tannin stain, caused by the wood being in contact with a metal pipe or strapping.  I would try a tannin spot remover before trying to plane or sand.  There are "home brew" methods of removing tannin stains if you don't want to buy an off the shelf product.  That split will definitely need to reinforced before the epoxy fill.  A number of butterflies/dutchman  would help.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, Just Bob said:

That looks like a tannin stain, caused by the wood being in contact with a metal pipe or strapping.  I would try a tannin spot remover before trying to plane or sand.  There are "home brew" methods of removing tannin stains if you don't want to buy an off the shelf product.  That split will definitely need to reinforced before the epoxy fill.  A number of butterflies/dutchman  would help.

This would be different from "Bar Keepers Friend" right?  That didn't work.  I do plan on adding 2 butterflies on the fron and 2-3 on the back for support and 3 C channels.  

1 hour ago, NoviceGirl said:

This would be different from "Bar Keepers Friend" right?  That didn't work.  I do plan on adding 2 butterflies on the fron and 2-3 on the back for support and 3 C channels.  

Bar Keepers Friend is a cleaner, this tannin spot remover is one of the products I found after a search.  I have never used this product so no idea how effective it is.  The few times I have done this I used a hydrogen peroxide soaked rag on the spot.  I had mixed results with that, and would probably go with a store bought product in the future.