Are you subscribing to woodworking paper magazine ?

Martin-IT

Hi,

I used to subscribe to Wood, Fine WoodWorking and Woodsmith.

I got tired of have 3 magazines doing a review of the same set of jigsaw every year, and drop Wood.  Also with Wood, I got tired of getting these renewal notices....2 years before the subscription expires.

Fine WoodWorking subscription expired, and it seems I forgot to renew it.

I really like Woodsmith, because of the step by step and plan to do a project.  I did my 1st woodworking project, building an armoire from a plan on the magazine. Ads have starting to creep up, but it is the only magazine I still subscribe.  It is the only paper magazine I still subscribe to.

Any paper magazine you subscribe to ?

I think that I've subscribed (or read) just about every one at one point or another.

Right now I have the FWW Unlimited, so I get the paper version included.

The Popular Woodworking, Wood & a couple of others were great for my skill level at the time, but hardly read any of them now. The one that I probably miss the most is ShopNotes. They had a lot of detailed shop related projects that I still reference back issues often. Woodsmith has taken up a lot of that, but still isn't the same.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, Martin-IT said:

How do you like the FWW Unlimited ? Can you print from the online version ? Download ?

Yes I do it quite often. Like @Chet I like a real tangible magazine to read but I also use the online for anything follow up its an amazing resource. I printout articles / plans if I need to while I have an iPad in my shop I still like paper sometimes :) 

One thing I dislike about FWW Unlimited is the website design. Even after you log into your account, the pages are plastered with ads for FWW Unlimited (as well as 3rd party ads) and reasons to subscribe or to get a free trial. At least half of the times I log in, I wonder if there’s an issue with my account because it seems like my subscription has run out or something. 
Then there’s a “Members” tab at the top, which you would think would take you to members’ only content, but it’s just another full page of telling you to sign up for FWW unlimited.

Maybe I’m just picky about UX but they have a lot of room for improvement.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 11:31 PM, JohnG said:

At least half of the times I log in, I wonder if there’s an issue with my account because it seems like my subscription has run out or something. 
Then there’s a “Members” tab at the top, which you would think would take you to members’ only content, but it’s just another full page of telling you to sign up for FWW unlimited.

Okay, update. There WAS a problem with my account. Somehow my account had been split into two- magazine subscription for one and online/unlimited for the other. It may have been due to the progression and timing of my subscriptions, but in any case, I have it sorted out now. The website is much better now, and the Members tab actually does have member content instead of just ads. Thanks to this thread for pushing me to get it fixed.

Plus, another benefit to the online access:

8E038A90-7271-4710-B73A-0C3E3E848711.thumb.jpeg.dbf1e598f06e4e227a6a648417de33d1.jpeg

• Like 1