Dovetail Jig for Jewelry Box Project

TomInNC

I am going to try the guild jewelry box project. Since I would like the project to be complete before Christmas, I am planning on using a jig for the dovetails instead of trying to learn to cut them by hand. Any suggestions on which jig to pickup? I was specifically curious if anyone has experience using the Leigh RTJ400 on a router table and could compare that to any of the jigs -- Leigh or otherwise -- where you use a handheld router. 

Personally given your time constraint I would look at TS or BS cut DT joints there are many YouTube videos out there. If you do want to go with a jig look for a used PC jig cheap and easy to set up and learn. From what I have seen and read the Leigh jig can be a little more in depth on features and set up/use. 

I have a Portercable 4200 series jig and like it. Setup is quick and easy. It lacks some of the variable spacing features the Leigh jigs have but it also lacks the headaches that correlate to the complexity of that jig. IMO if i want to get fancy dovetails I'll cut them on the table saw/band saw and finish by hand.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, JohnG said:

Also the Incra iBox jig is quick and easy. A little more pricy though.

I'm absolutely open to the box joint option. This is my first attempt at drawers, so anything that reduces the likelihood of user error is a good idea. 

For an iBox, do most people set this up on the table saw with a dado stack or on the router table?

On 10/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, Mark J said:

If you are willing to substitute box joints for dovetails, Rockler has a box joint sled that looks like it would be simple and capable.  It's on sale, too.

https://www.rockler.com/router-table-box-joint-jig

I have used this for several years and it’s money well spent. I wish I had bought the spiral upcut bit when I bought the jig as it’s like night and day compared to the two sided straight cutting bit. Coupled with Rockler’s brass setup bars and you can get some really nice, tight joints with just a little practice. 

Me and dove tails parted ways right after the honeymoon started. ;)

• Haha 1