Band Selection

Askland09

The resaw king lives in my 14bx band saw and it's hard to convince me to change it. For other blades i have a few 1/4" 3-4 tpi blades for small work. Outside those two I don't see much point.

Oh DO NOT use the snodgrass method to tune the resaw king. From what I've been able to determine it puts all the strain on the gullet of the blade. For carbide blades this is the part of the band that has been hardened by brazing on the carbide teeth and it leaves the blade brittle and prone to snapping if all the tension is concentrated there. I've gone to putting the crown more towards the rear of the blade and I haven't snapped a blade in nearly 3 years now. I was breaking one every 6 months before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, Chestnut said:

The resaw king lives in my 14bx band saw and it's hard to convince me to change it. For other blades i have a few 1/4" 3-4 tpi blades for small work. Outside those two I don't see much point.

This is probably going to be the same set up I'll run.  Have the resaw blade that lives in the big bandsaw and use the 10" for doing all of the curve/detail work.  This might sound like a silly question but is it acceptable to use the resaw king as a rough rip blade as well?

On 10/17/2021 at 8:08 PM, Coop said:

Start by ripping boards to rough widths on it and pretty soon you will find yourself using it on every project.

Ripping rough stock was the main driver behind getting the saw with resawing and curve cutting being the secondary operations behind the purchase. 

On 10/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, Chestnut said:

Don't limit it to just rough stock. It'll rip milled stock just as easily and quickly.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:58 AM, JohnG said:

+1 A good blade and tuned bandsaw leaves a surprisingly good finish.

The only thing I'm needing to finish up on is getting the fence perfect.  It's really close to what I consider acceptable but as of right now works fantastic for rough rips.  The other thing is I'm not near as comfortable with it as say the table saw or router yet, but with time I'm sure that will all change and it'll become a staple of the shop.

Just some questions per your comments because I'd like to try and help.

What's up with the fence?

Also what are you uncomfortable with?

Also if your RK isn't leaving a smooth finish you might need to inspect the blade. I've had 2 that had solder whiskers that I needed to smooth out. More often than not I have a difficult time discerning the sawn edge of a board vs a jointed edge. I used a diamond plate and went from very rough to glass smooth.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:27 AM, Chestnut said:

What's up with the fence?

I just didn't have enough time to make it "dead on" like I usually do to all my fences. Mainly due to not having enough time last weekend to get it there before I had to head out.  All of which will be remedied this weekend.  

On 10/21/2021 at 9:27 AM, Chestnut said:

Also what are you uncomfortable with?

Just the machine and the general feel of it.  I had a small benchtop 10" from Grizzly, basically a glorified scroll saw, before upgrading to this one.  So just getting to know the difference in power, cut speed, what its capable of, etc, etc.  Just need to spend a little quality time using. 

As for the RK it cuts super well and left a great finish from the first few cuts I made, but I'll definitely give the blade a good once over to make sure there are no whiskers.  It also didn't help that I had to back to the store because the blade was mislabeled as a 115" when in reality it was 112" so that took 2 hours of my day to go back and get that fixed up.  

• Like 1