Renting a festool dominos ?

Martin-IT

Hi,

most portable tool can be rented. I would not think of renting a 3hp stop saw or 8" jointer due to their weight, but a festool dominos ?

As a hobbyist,  I would use it once or twice a year, since I do typically 1 or 2 projects a year.

I have bough tool, that were not used that much and for which now,  the manufacturer does not have any part for it.

Paying 1000$ for a portable tool, if I could rent it, I would prep all my piece and over a weekend I could complete what I need it for.

I asked a local festool dealer if they have heard of any rental location having them, and they said no and checked who has bought one, and none where tool rental company.

Anyone rents them ?

I'm in the north east, it will be a long drive to Houston just to use a Dominos.  It is not a common tool, with very specific use cases, that a homeowner/construction grade will most likely not need. This could explain why tool rental shops do not offer them.  You can rent a mini-excavator...but not a dominos ! and tools store, are in the business of selling them...not renting them.

When I was buying mine, the local Woodcraft was out of stock but offered to let me take their demo unit home to use in the meantime. If you have a woodworking supply store nearby, it might be worth getting to know them and asking if you could rent their demo unit to try on a project. If your project pieces are small they might let you bring them in and use it in the store if they are hesitant about lending it out. Make sure you offer to buy the dominos and the bit.

If they already have a dedicated demo/display unit, it's all profit to them if you pay them to use it occasionally. I doubt they make good margins on Festool products and they've already written off the demo unit.