DeWalt DW735x 13'' 2-Speed Planer

jmb

rocker seems to have a pretty good deal on one of these with a mobile stand. I have read reviews on amazon and they are kind of mixed. I have 240 volt as well as 120. should I be looking at something different? I am a beginning woodworker. cost is a factor of course but a couple of hundred bucks is not going to break the bank.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

JB

To step up to a floor-standing planer will pretty much double the price, although you may get 15" of width, vs. 13" for the Dewalt. The only bad thing I have to say about the DW735 is that it is LOUD. My shop is an insulated building, separated from the house by about 10' at the nearest corner, and the noise still drives my wife crazy, inside the house.

If you are able to obtain a 240v unit, it should be less likely to overheat during long milling sessions, as it will draw less current for the same horsepower.

It's a good unit for a home wood working shop.  Blades are easy to change and each blade has 2 cutting edges, one for now and one when its time to change.  Keep the rollers clean with menral spirits.  When its comes to Dust collection, remember that it has its own powerful fan that expells the chips.  Enjoy.

I've had one for about a year now and I only have 2 complaints with the unit.

1. It is extremely loud which is easily remedied with a set of ear buds and your favorite tunes/podcast/etc. 

2. I've had problems with the outfeed table coming out of flush with the unit.  More of an annoyance than a problem.

Other than those two issues its been a great addition to my shop. 

On 11/26/2021 at 2:14 PM, Askland09 said:

2. I've had problems with the outfeed table coming out of flush with the unit.  More of an annoyance than a problem

Raise your unit up off of the table to get a straight edge onto the table and outfeed table (not on the in feed table). Adjust your out feed table to where it is flush with the main table then tip the outside edge of your out feed up just a tad and secure it. Then do the same with the in feed but leave it flush with the main table and secure it.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, Coop said:

Raise your unit up off of the table to get a straight edge onto the table and outfeed table (not on the in feed table). Adjust your out feed table to where it is flush with the main table then tip the outside edge of your out feed up just a tad and secure it. Then do the same with the in feed but leave it flush with the main table and secure it.

The issue is that the adjustment has slipped 2 times and come out of where I had originally tightened it down.  Its an easy fix, just annoying. 

On 11/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, Coop said:

On 11/29/2021 at 8:05 AM, Askland09 said:

The issue is that the adjustment has slipped 2 times and come out of where I had originally tightened it down.  Its an easy fix, just annoying. 

I have used a 3/4"x13"x6' piece of melamine as a table platform for years and it has almost eliminated any snipe without messing with the tables. I'm probably going to take them off soon to make it easier to tuck away.

Check around before you pull the trigger for $650, I waited a couple of months before I found mine through Craigslist about 3 years ago. The guy was moving and couldn't take it with him. Got the 735X with stand for $400. He had only used it once.