Drum Sander, Shop Made JET 98-0060 Tuftool

gee-dub

• gee-dub changed the title to Drum Sander, Shop Made JET 98-0060 Tuftool

That is a nice little tool, my Jet 16-32 came with that little tool yours looks just as good. Being a guy with big ham hands I have trouble with getting that end on correctly I couldn't do it without the tool, just the cussing and swearing would be heard around the entire neighborhood:wub: 

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2021 at 11:06 AM, Dave H said:

That is a nice little tool, my Jet 16-32 came with that little tool yours looks just as good. Being a guy with big ham hands I have trouble with getting that end on correctly I couldn't do it without the tool, just the cussing and swearing would be heard around the entire neighborhood:wub: 

+1

I really wish they would come up with a better design for the clip at that end.  I was hoping that was something Supermax had come up with when I first heard about them.  As your third picture shows, it's almost impossible to get the paper tight enough so that it sits flat as it goes into the clip and thus that part wears out in no time and starts burning the wood.  Using a piece of wood to push it down helps a little.  I just avoid the last inch of the drum altogether, and the wear on your paper seems to indicate you do the same.  But mine's only the 10" Jet so losing an inch really hurts.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, Chet said:

I have started doing the inside first and winding the paper to the outside.  It is a lot easier to deal with the outside clip last.

On mine the inside clip is spring loaded to take up slack as the paper heats up or settles in or whatever that design is for.  I have also used your method and then just held the inside-end paper at the clip area and cycled the clip to tighten the grip.  This definitely seem to be one of the remaining problems with this design that could use some refinement.