Oval Plantation Shutter

TomInNC

My daughter has an oval-shaped window in her room, and I was thinking of attempting to make a plantation shutter to fit the space. Does anyone know of articles or videos that discuss how to construct a non-rectangular shutter? I know Rockler has those nice kits, but it looks like those only work for rectangular spaces.

21 minutes ago, TomInNC said:

My daughter has an oval-shaped window in her room, and I was thinking of attempting to make a plantation shutter to fit the space. Does anyone know of articles or videos that discuss how to construct a non-rectangular shutter? I know Rockler has those nice kits, but it looks like those only work for rectangular spaces.

Dowels are okay. I just think that the domino offers a bit easier alignment. If you need an excuse, just get one? I've never regretted buying either the 500 or 700. I get far more enjoyment out of turning a design into a finished piece, than the process of goign from design to finished piece. People that like the process more than the design and outcome tend to like the domino a lot less.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:29 PM, Chestnut said:

700 can do larger bits (up to 14mm vs 10mm) and deeper mortises (60mm deep vs 28mm). Overall it's just much larger.

Thanks. One of the long term projects I aspire to complete is replacing some French doors on my house with some custom doors. After some googling, it sounds like the 700 is used pretty frequently in door construction. Since I have to make 4 of the doors, that alone might justify the 700.

Got any good plans for custom wood French doors? Haha

• 11 months later...