Making "Dreamery"

Mark J

I should back track a bit briefly. I showed 3D renderings of the final goal, but I have a process to get there.  It starts with some small scale thumbnail sketches.  

SAM_4102.thumb.JPG.72e4baa0b00d0a39d05545f06306bcc3.JPG

Followed by full scale sketches making assumptions about the final size of the wood blank.

SAM_4103.thumb.JPG.64e4c4e12025652814ca881d80d8bc7f.JPG

When I have some designs I would like to see in 3D I bring them into Fusion 360 again using an approximate size for the blank. I will then tweak the curves in F. 360 making small changes.  When I have settled on an approximate design I choose a block of wood to become the blank. This then gets squared up resulting in four flat and perpendicular sides and two flat and perpendicular faces.  (I have showed that process before, but I can do it again if needed).

Then based on the actual size of this trimmed blank I go back to F. 360 and tweak the design to make sure that it fits.  That’s how I got the images I showed earlier. Nice pictures to judge the form, but I can’t really use them to make the project. For that I need accurate life size 2D cross-sections. So back to the graph paper.

SAM_4105.thumb.JPG.0cabf91136eb1385b0ae4db2dddc421a.JPG

I use these drawings to help me engineer how I’m going make the piece. I look at how I am going to hold the work at each step and confirm that tools are long enough and can reach into the recesses without impediment. Then I mark out the guide holes which are 1/8” diameter holes drilled to about ¼” shy of the intended contour line.

Next I mark up the blank to show every possibly important landmark. These include the center of each face, the location and depth of each guide hole, and any diameters that may be of interest (e.g. rims).

SAM_4063.thumb.JPG.cc741eb8356e9017c698f7c212a4ce45.JPG

Lastly, one more trick, and this is hard to explain. Although I’m carving away a lot of each face, there is some portion of that face that is going to remain as part of the final surface. I make a drawing to depict what’s going to remain, photocopy this and transfer the lines to each of the four faces of the block with carbon paper. It is very helpful during the actual turning. It’s not so much a guide as to how to remove wood as it is a warning that you’re getting close to removing wood that’s not supposed to come off.

In this pic you see the photocopy, and the relevant lines are the two broad curves at the top and the bottom. (the two curves at left and right just show me for the sides relate to the top and bottom curves).

SAM_4082.thumb.JPG.b969e5a40947aae2872a44dc7c3163f2.JPG

I know that is clear as mud, and I can go into this in more detail if that’s where someone’s interest lies, but I’m figuring you guys would rather see some actual sawdust.  I'm just trying to say here that nothing is left to chance if I can help it.  And maybe explain why the design and planning phases would go so many weeks.  

SAM_4106.JPG

• Like 2

I would be a pretty basic woodworker if I hadn't pushed projects to new levels.  I have learned how to make adjustments and repairs by having the poop show up.  AND I have learned just as much or maybe more from other peoples poop incidents.

So lets go Mark, I am ready to watch this.

• Like 1

Most of yesterday's shop time and half of today's spent sanding.  I thought I would spare you the swipe by swipe demonstration, but there a few point I'll make, particularly as no one asked :)

Why sand now, after all there's more turning to do and much of what I'm sanding is going to get cut off later?  First it's much easier to sand a piece that is still mounted on the lathe rather than handheld.  Even if the lath motor can't be used it still serves as a handy holder.  Second it's much easier to sand something that is a continuous round form than one that is interrupted.  And third there's a lot of sanding that's going to happen, much of it by hand, and I prefer to break up the task. There's a risk that the finely sanded surface will get a blemish, but it's easier to repair a p1200 surface than create one.  

Why so fine a grit?  Because these pieces will inevitably be held in the hand and examined closely (hopefully by someone who has just paid money to own it).  

I like to use a 3" hook and loop Abranet knockoff that I get from Woodturner's Wonders.  It is very comfortable to hold and gets into spaces, and I like that I can blow it out from the back (into the DC).  

SAM_4202.thumb.JPG.ecd33310eea43e7402a20372538fe828.JPG

For this project I had to do some spot sanding with p80 on some rough spots on the wings that did not clean up with the NRS, then p120 all over followed by p150, p180, p240, p320, p400, p600, p800, p1200.  I will confess that when I got to p400 the first time I realized that a had a deep scratch that was not going to come out with high grits.  So I did some spot sanding with p180 to get rid of it, then worked my way up again.  Scratches like that are almost always the result pressing too hard with a coarse grit of sandpaper, but I find that they are often difficult to see until the rest of the surface gets smoothed out.  This is not the first time I have had to go back grits.  I keep re-learning this lesson that sandpaper is to be brushed or even wiped, but not scrubbed.  

Here's what it looks like, and with a MS wash.

SAM_4206.thumb.JPG.b92cdb6c7635a3962e56361965018e72.JPG

SAM_4213.thumb.JPG.f6b89301bf7bbf1bc28c37029e7784cc.JPG

SAM_4214.thumb.JPG.8774384847a4a5e51be48bc2c39b9509.JPG

• Like 2

Before this thread I was pretty happy with my turning set up and tools, I thought it was pretty good .... boy how naive I was.

The articulated arm leaves me a bit confused. I get that it doesn't have a handle and the reason for it, but how do you engage with it to make the tool cut. It needs some sort of handle for you to push the tool to engage the cut?

Also what RPM are you running? Not cause I want to try and replicate just trying to understand order of magnitude. If it's in the tens, hundreds, or thousands.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Before this thread I was pretty happy with my turning set up and tools, I thought it was pretty good .... boy how naive I was.

The articulated arm leaves me a bit confused. I get that it doesn't have a handle and the reason for it, but how do you engage with it to make the tool cut. It needs some sort of handle for you to push the tool to engage the cut?

Also what RPM are you running? Not cause I want to try and replicate just trying to understand order of magnitude. If it's in the tens, hundreds, or thousands.

As to how I hold the articulated arm, I usually have one hand on the "wrist" and the other on the tool   It only takes finger tip control.  Both of my hands end up controlling the motion, but it is possible to do one handed.

As to rpm, I have the presets set at 100, 300, 600, 900, 1200.... I was doing most of the turning, inside and outside, at 900; some 1200 for the interrupted work on the outside.  I only occasionally go more than 900,  and do a lot at 600.  But it depends on the work being done, the materials, the tools.  

• Like 2

I have a quandary which y’all may be able to help me with. First let me get you up to date.

I was busy yesterday with distractions, i.e. any life task which is not woodworking related. But this morning I finished sanding the inside of the bottom. Here it is all purdy and smooth and then after a refreshing mineral spirits wipe down.

SAM_4304.thumb.JPG.83d8abda112694003e757e0f302382ef.JPG

SAM_4308.thumb.JPG.eea5dffc254b1a70c014a42d99287716.JPG

The surface looks good, but I realize that, with sanding, the inside rim line has migrated every so little towards the periphery, narrowing my feet further. I should have seen this coming; it was entirely predictable.

SAM_4320.thumb.JPG.06cef80f7757f2937a3f31290f936114.JPG

What was once to be 7/8” is now 4/8”, and the sides of the rim are now contributing next to nothing to the available glue surface area.

SAM_4315.thumb.JPG.3e7d6572e3db546532f10991ec25a57e.JPG

Still with the feet measuring about 3” in length that comes out to about 6 sq in of glue surface, which I think will be enough. But it does reduce my margin for error.

SAM_4313.thumb.JPG.264c4be9fee4b531d92639f7d34fd95e.JPG

I still have the opportunity to remove material from the top half while it’s on the screw chuck, but I think it’s worth keeping the mass to dampen vibration, so my plan is glue on the sacrificial poplar block and go easy on shaping the top.

That leaves me with one quandary that I also should have seen coming. In the photo below you can see a clear MS margin identifying the boundary of the curving inner wall with the flat foot.

SAM_4316.thumb.JPG.ee0ba0a527116f19bd81fe5edeae659c.JPG

I’m short on glue surface so I can’t afford to starve the joint, which means I’ll get squeeze out along this boundary. I won’t have access to this side of the glue joint until long after the glue has cured. Eventually, after the cutback operation, I intend to use a small flush cut saw to saw the basin’s feet off the sacrificial block. Undoubtedly I will have some residual cured glue on the inner wall which I will have to remove. And by the way I plan to use either TB I or TB II.

So what to do here? How to keep the glue from bonding outside of the joint area, or make it easy to remove after the joint is sawn apart? All without changing the  appearance of the finish.

A couple of thoughts have passed my mind. I could use hide glue, which can be loosened with heat. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be residual glue in the pores that will change the appearance of the finish coats. And I don’t think that it has the same strength as TB?

Maybe shellac would keep the glue from bonding? (no idea, you tell me). If so, once cut free, I could set the base in a dish of DNA and hopefully dissolve and wash away all the shellac? (never heard of doing this, I just made it up).

On the plus side, the wall thickness came down a smidge.

SAM_4321.JPG

• Like 1

This is totally a WAG, but I would try marking the boundary of the curve, and masking it with tape before gluing. That should leave little more than a hairline of glue the should easily shave off with a sharp chisel.

But bear in mind, most of my work is thick and meaty enough to clean up with an angle grinder. :o  I have no experience with anything this delicate.

• Thanks 1

According to Bob the Glue Guru at Titebond, TB does not stick to wax (but wax is then hard to remove), so we thought it was possible that TB wouldn't stick to the Osmo.  I'm doing the experiment now, but the OPXO will have to cure over night, and then after I apply a bead of glue that will have to dry.  So there's going to be a "rain delay".

The problem I was seeing with just using masking tape is that it would be difficult to tape right up to the line since it's a compound curve.  But not only could I use a razor knife to trim the excess tape, but any little bit that is left over the line might come off when I sand the feet flat.  The last step before gluing.

If the Osmo experiment works I may end up trying both.

• Like 1

I'm a bit late I'd bet but my advise is to finish the inside with what ever your final finish is going to be. It'll give you some barrier to keeping the glue from absorbing into the wood and should make it easier to remove. Just assume you'll have to touch the finish up. I like the idea of both finish and tape though.

• Like 1

• Mark J changed the title to Making "Dreamery"